2016 NCFR Award Recipients
NCFR-Sponsored and NCFR Section-Sponsored Awards
- Felix Berardo Scholarship Award for Mentoring - Raeann R. Hamon, Messiah College
- NCFR Student Award - J. Kale Monk, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Ruth Hathaway Jewson Award - Emma G. Hooper, The Ohio State University - "Enhancing Positive Interactions Between Depressed Mothers and Their Young Children"
- Jessie Bernard Contribution to Feminist Scholarship Paper Award - Feminism and Family Studies Section - Jennifer Randles, California State University Fresno - "Redefining the Marital Power Struggle Through Relationship Skills: How United States Marriage Education Programs Challenge and Reproduce Gender Inequality"
- Jessie Bernard Outstanding Research Proposal from a Feminist Perspective - Feminism and Family Studies Section - Shawn Mendez, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - "Parenting Processes in Mixed Race LGB Parent Families and LGB Parent Families of Color: Racial Socialization and Queer Socialization"
- John L. and Harriette P. McAdoo Dissertation Award - Ethnic Minorities Section - Diamond Y. Bravo, Arizona State University - "A Cultural Perspective of Achievement Motivation among Mexican-Origin Adolescent Mothers"
- Feldman Outstanding Research Proposal for Research in Family Policy Award - Family Policy Section - Woosang Hwang, Syracuse University - "Employed Mothers' Use of Maternity Leave and their Second-birth Intentions across the Division of Housework"
- Ernest W. Burgess Award - Research and Theory Section - Katherine R. Allen - Virginia Tech
- Reuben Hill Award - Research and Theory Section - Marisa Young, Jean E. Wallace, and Alicia J. Polachek, University of Calgary - "Gender Differences in Perceived Domestic Task Equity: A Study of Professionals." Journal of Family Issues, 36, 1751-1781.
- Margaret E. Arcus Outstanding Family Life Educator Award - Education and Enrichment Section - Sharon M. Ballard, East Carolina University
Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) Awards
- CFLE Special Recognition Award - Bridget Walsh, University of Nevada, Reno
Affiliate Councils Awards
- Meritorious Service Awards
- Bill Anderson, Illinois Council on Family Relations
- Debra L. Berke, Mid-Atlantic Council on Family Relations
- J. Kelly McCoy, Utah Council on Family Relations
- President for a Day - Rachel Arocho, Ohio State University
- Affiliate Grants
- State/regional: Oklahoma Council on Family Relations
- Student: Illinois State University Council on Family Relations
Advancing Family Science Section
- Wesley Burr Graduate Student Scholarship Awards
Rocco Placenti and Pearl Stewart, Montclair State University
"How a Course Changes Student Attitudes Toward Single Mothers in Poverty"
Jessica Cless, Lauren Oseland, Briana Nelson Goff, Kansas State University
"Teaching Trauma and Trauma-Informed Teaching in the Field of Social Sciences"
Education & Enrichment Section
- Student Proposal Awards
Seonghee Hong, University of Minnesota
"Workplace Predictors of Parent Educators' Terminology Acceptance Attitudes"
(coauthor: Susan Walker)
Kristin Anders, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
"Emerging Adults' Sexual Identity, Pluralistic Ignorance and Sexual Hookups"
(coauthors: Spencer Olmstead, Erin Moore)
Ethnic Minorities Section
- Student/New Professional Best Paper Awards
- Leanna Moron, George Mason University
"Undocumented and Vulnerable: Central American Immigrant Mothers' Well-Being"
- Antoinette Landor, University of Missouri
"Human Rights and Relationships of African Americans: Exploring Health and Well-being"
- Leanna Moron, George Mason University
Families & Health Section
Outstanding Professional Paper/Publications Award - Amy Rauer, Auburn University - "Romantic Relationships and Alcohol Use: A Long-term, Developmental Approach"
- Outstanding Student/New Professionial Paper Award - Christina M. Marini, Purdue University - "Emotion Expression, Avoidance and Psychological Health During Reintegration: A Dyadic Analysis of Actor and Partner Associations Within a Sample of Military Couples"
Family Policy Section
- Feldman Travel Awards
Anthony James Ferraro, Florida State University
"The Multidimensional Co-parenting Scale for Dissolved Relationships"
Shane Kavanaugh, Iowa State University
"Infant Reunification: The Role of Kinship Placements and Parental Substance Abuse"
Family Therapy Section
- Best Research Paper Award-Student - Yaliu He, University of Minnesota - "Which Treatment Do You Prefer? Parent Preferences and Treatment Outcomes"
- Best Research Paper Award-New Professional - Xiaohui Li, Northern Illinois University - "A Couple-Based Personality Prototype Based on Big Five: A Latent Class Analysis"
- Best Poster Award-Student - Young Jin Kang, University of Missouri - "Stepchildren's Communication Boundary Management and Family Relationships"
- Best Poster Award-New Professional - Patricia Barros-Gomes, University of Maryland - "Brazilian Husbands' Recovery from Alcohol Dependency: What's the Wives' Role?"
- Jan Trost Award - Catherine A. Solheim, University of Minnesota
- Annual Conference Travel Scholarship - Joan Kabaria Muriithi, Kenyatta University
Religion & Family Life Section
- Outstanding Paper Award - Meg Wilkes Karraker, University of St. Thomas â€“ "Religion, Spirituality, and Social Values Among Mid-Western Middle Class Families"
- Students and New Professionals Outstanding Paper Award - Woosang Hwang, Syracuse University â€“ "Religious Discordance between Adult Children and their Parents: Consequences for Intergenerational Solidarity across Several Decades"
Research & Theory Section
- Best Abstract by a Student or New Professional Award - Casey J. Totenhagen, University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa - "Stress and Relationship Quality: Vulnerabilities in Same-Sex Couples"
(coauthors: Ashley Randall & Kayla Lloyd)
Focus Group Awards
- Anselm Strauss Award for Qualitative Family Research - Qualitative Family Research Network Focus Group
- Elizabeth A. Sharp and Genevieve D. DeCesaro (2015). "Modeling innovative methodological practices in a dance/family studies transdisciplinary project." Journal of Family Theory and Review, 7 (Dec), 367-380
- Honorable mention: Tony E. Adams and Jimmie Manning (2015). "Autoethnography and Family Research." Journal of Family Theory and Review, 7 (Dec), 350-366
- Best New Professional Research Article Award - Men in Families Focus Group -
Allen W. Barton, Steven M. Kogan, Junhan Cho, and Geoffrey L. Brown - "Father Involvement and Young Rural African American Men's Engagement in Substance Misuse and Multiple Sexual Partnerships
- Best Research Article Award - Men in Families Focus Group
Valerie King, Paul R. Amato, and Rachel Lindstrom - "Stepfather-Adolescent Relationship Quality During the First Year of Transitioning to a Stepfamily"
- Diversity and Inclusion Research Article Award - Men in Families Focus Group -
Geoffrey L. Brown, Ashley B. Craig, and Amy G. Halberstadt - "Parent Gender Differences in Emotion Socialization Behaviors Vary by Ethnicity and Child Gender
Issues in Aging Focus Group Award, Students and New Professionals
Woosang Hwang, Syracuse University - "Religious Discordance between Adult Children and their Parents: Consequences for Intergenerational Solidarity across Several Decades"
- Runner up: James Duncan, Florida State University - "Leisure, Relatedness, and Ill-being Among Older Adults in Long-Term Care"
Issues in Aging Focus Group Award, Professional
Megan Gilligan, Iowa State University - "Sibling Tension and Psychological Well-being in Midlife"
- Runner up: Jay Mancini, University of Georgia - "Contributions of Communities to Family Resilience"