Inclusion & Diversity Committee
The purpose of the Inclusion and Diversity Committee (IDC) is to (a) identify the inclusion and diversity strengths, issues, and opportunities within all aspects of NCFR; (b) develop strategies and plans to examine ways in which we include and exclude (however unintentionally) NCFR members; (c) systematically examine aspects of NCFR to enhance its effectiveness and ability to meet the needs of its diverse membership; and (d) respectfully celebrate and document the successes of inclusivity approaches. The IDC serves the NCFR Board of Directors by engaging our shared experiences, and promoting a community of respect that honors the humanity of all.
The Inclusion and Diversity Committee is an NCFR Board Committee. It is IDC's job to: (a) make recommendations regarding inclusive and diverse approaches, (b) examine programs, activities, policies, publications, and practices to determine intentional or unintentional exclusiveness, and (c) engage members in scholarly dialogues, in consultation with the NCFR Board of Directors.
The IDC also offers an award: the Social Justice Award for Contributions to Family Science.
To send a message to the IDC, please use this webform.
2020 IDC Members
- Chalandra M. Bryant - Chair
- Daphne C. Hernandez - Chair-elect
- Tiffany L. Brown
- Kristy Y. Shih
- Jocelyn R. Smith Lee
- Adrienne M. Duke
- Shawn N. Mendez - Students & New Professionals Representative
- Bethany L. Letiecq, Board of Directors Liaison - Ex-officio
- April Adamson, Executive Assistant and Board Liaison - Ex-officio
Resources from the IDC
- Resource Collection from 2017 IDC Conference Session
- Fall 2017 Article — IDC Continues Its Social Justice Focus: Dialogue and Strategies to Eradicate Bigotry
- Summer 2017 Article — Sleep as a Social Justice Issue
- Spring 2017 Article — Reflections on the IDC Special Session and Breakfast at the 2016 Conference
- Winter 2016 Article — Inclusive, Diverse, and Socially Just NCFR: Future Planning for IDC Special Sessions
- Resource Collection from 2016 IDC Conference Session
- Fall 2016 Article — Muslim Families and Islamophobia Within North America
- Summer 2016 Article — What Does Social Justice Mean in the Context of Family Science?
- Spring 2016 Article — IDC Update, Spring 2016