Wondering why you should become a Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE)? Learn about the benefits and watch our video about becoming a CFLE.

Minimum requirements

Applicants for the CFLE designation must have completed at least a bachelor's degree at an accredited college/university.

Accredited means a recognized regional agency for the accreditation of a Baccalaureate Institutions, Acceptable agencies include: Higher Learning Commission (HLC), Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC CIHE), Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS COC), and Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission (WASC WSCUC).

Two levels of CFLE certification

Provisional certification

Provisional certification is available to applicants who can demonstrate content knowledge in each of the 10 family life content areas, but who have not yet earned enough work experience hours in family life education to qualify for full-certification status.

Full certification

Full certification is available to CFLE applicants who can demonstrate both content knowledge and sufficient work experience in family life education. Learn more about work experience for full certification.

Two ways to become a CFLE

Abbreviated process

The Abbreviated Application Process is for recent college graduates — graduated within two years of their CFLE application date — of CFLE-approved academic programs.

Exam process

The Exam Application Process is available for those who are not recent graduates of a CFLE-approved academic program.

Degree earned outside the U.S.

Applicants with a degree earned outside of the United States must provide evidence of degree equivalency to a degree earned in the United States. Credentials should be evaluated by an official credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Find a list of NACES members on the NACES website.

Degrees earned in Canada must be accredited through the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC).