Upgrading from Provisional to Full CFLE Certification

You can now apply online to upgrade from provisional to full CFLE status.

Find details and a link to the online application system on our work experience for full certification page, and experience a simpler, quicker, and more secure upgrade process.

Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs) with provisional certification must document and submit sufficient Family Life Education work experience activity within five years of their original month of certification to upgrade their credential to full status. For example, a provisional CFLE certified in March 2014 would need to upgrade to full status by March 2019.

The number of hours of work experience needed varies depending on the level and relevance of the applicant's degree:

Requirements for Full

Bachelor's Degree

Master's or Ph.D. Degree

Family Degree

3,200 hours work experience

1,600 hours work experience

Non-family Degree

4,800 hours work experience for bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D.


Provisional CFLEs can upgrade at any time after they have acquired the necessary Family Life Education work experience hours. NCFR encourages you to submit your upgrade materials as close to your anniversary month as possible to maintain your five year cycle. Your anniversary month appears on your CFLE credential and can also be accessed in your NCFR record by logging in at my.ncfr.org.

The upgrade application fee is $171 for NCFR members and $229 for nonmembers. The fee includes the CFLE annual fee for the next year. Please visit our fees page for all current information. Of note, if you submit for an upgrade from provisional to full CFLE status and there is a CFLE annual fee open on your account for the same year, you do not have to pay the annual fee as it is included in your application fee.

About Transcripts: If you have earned a family-specific degree since you were first certified, please submit an original, official transcript showing degree completion. Transcripts do not need to be in a sealed envelope. Please note that we cannot accept transcripts emailed from applicants, faxed, scanned, or copied transcripts. You may submit an electronic transcript but it must be official and be sent directly from the university, making NCFR the "receiver"/"recipient" (make sure "Emily Vang" and NCFR's address are used for any recipient information).

Provisional Certification Extension: Are you at the end of your five years of provisional CFLE status but do not have enough work-experience hours to upgrade to full CFLE status? Please visit our provisional extension webpage to learn more about maintaining your provisional certification until you have enough hours to upgrade to full.

For more information you'll need to know for the upgrade process, please visit our work experience for full certification webpage.