Abilene Christian University
The mission of the Department of Marriage and Family Studies is to equip students to strengthen family relationships and solve personal and relational problems through child and family services or therapeutic intervention while cultivating Christian leadership and character in each student.
The undergraduate program in Child and Family Services accomplishes this mission through:
- emphasizing the formation of healthy relationships and the promotion of optimal human development;
- examining current research and theory regarding the normal issues with which individuals and families must contend as they grow and evolve;
- creating opportunities for students to design, implement, and evaluate family life education programs; and
- providing diverse practicum experiences that prepare students for future employment.
The graduate program in Marriage and Family Therapy accomplishes this mission through:
- Emphasizing a Christocentric view of human nature and personal/relational problems within a context of diversity;
- Providing a diverse clinical training experience;
- Encouraging development of a professional identity by fostering involvement in the profession of marriage and family therapy; and
- Creating a culture of research.