Counseling (M.S.) (MFT)

Department of Educational Psychology & Counseling

The marriage and family therapy specialization within the M.S. degree in Counseling is a nationally accredited COAMFTE program that provides students with competency in the content areas required by the State Board of Behavioral Science for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) and a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).

Our mission is to train exceptional marriage and family therapists to serve needs of individuals, couples, children, and families in the the diverse communities of Southern California. We seek to provide a supportive, engage learning environment that enables our students to develop effective working relationships with diverse clients, competency in contemporary therapy theories, and a solid foundation in the field's evidence-base. Using a learning-centered, outcome-based pedagogy, our cutting-edge curriculum balances academic knowledge with clinical practice to ensure all students develop the real-world skills they need to succeed throughout their careers.

Our students are prepared to provide services in community, public, and private mental health settings and eventually to serve as leaders in the field. Many students also choose to pursue doctoral studies upon graduation. Upon completion of coursework and being awarded the degree, students are eligible to apply to the State Board for internship registration when endorsed by an officer of the University. Following completion of 3,000 hours of supervised field experience and successful passage of a written and oral examination administered by the State Board, candidates are awarded the Marriage and Family Therapy license by the State.

Degree Level
Program Delivery
Area(s) of Study
Therapy/Counseling (individual, couples, marriage, or family)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WSCUC), Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE)
Department Chair
Director of Graduate Studies