Executive Assistant and Board Liaison
The National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) is seeking an experienced Executive Assistant and Board Liaison to join our team and provide administrative support to and do special projects for NCFR’s executive director. This full-time position will also provide staff support to the board of directors, including all committees of the board, and maintain board and organization governance documents, updating them as needed. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
NCFR is looking for someone who is able to work both collaboratively and independently, resolve conflicts constructively without blaming, remain calm and professional under pressure, adapt readily to changes in priorities and schedules, and multitask. The successful candidate will be someone who is able to interact effectively with all levels of members, staff, vendors/service providers and the general public.
Essential Job Functions
Executive Assistant (25%)
- Provide high level administrative support to the executive director
- Maintain historical references of the organization by developing and utilizing document management and retrieval systems; help executive director make consistent decisions by advising of historical precedents
- Complete projects and special assignments; establish objectives; determine priorities; manage time; gain cooperation of others; monitor progress; solve problems; make adjustments to plans
- Schedule conference calls; verify attendance of participants; oversee calls; record proceedings; and transcribe audio recordings
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with key leaders
- Assist in preparing various reports, including quarterly and annual reports to the board of directors
- Act as member of the senior staff, assisting in the development of short-term and long-range goals and planning
Board Liaison (35%)
- Provide operational and administrative support for the Board of Directors and its committees including but not limited to: Audit Committee, Elections Council, Fellows Committee, Inclusion and Diversity Committee, Journal Board Committee, editor search committees, and other ad hoc committees as needed
- Document and communicate board of directors and board committee actions
- Assist with the preparation of the board’s annual budget
- Maintain and distribute conflict of interest questionnaires annually to directors, officers and responsible employees
Organization Governance (25%)
- Maintain corporate documents, committee charters and organizational charts
- Document and maintain board governance policies and procedures including policy governance handbook and NCFR bylaws
- Document and maintain Section bylaws, Section governance handbook, and Focus Group governance handbook
Member Communications and Data Gathering (10%)
- Work with Communications Manager to keep website up to date with board and board committee information
- Assist to develop and administer electronic surveys as needed (e.g. elections, research grant proposals, etc.)
Other Job Duties as Assigned (5%)
Requirements and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Five years of experience in support of boards, committees, and executive level leaders. Note: An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted as determined by senior management.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook, SharePoint, and calendaring.
- Ability to understand and use databases, including the membership database.
- Proficiency in the use of Doodle or other meeting scheduling software.
- Proficiency in the use of Survey Monkey or other survey software.
- Effectively analyze and interpret documents and information of moderate to high complexity:
- Understand and apply basic mathematical operations.
- Implement effective research and analytical skills in order to investigate and solve practical problems with a moderate to high degree of complexity.
- Employ excellent oral and written communications skills:
- Ability to prepare and edit error-free correspondence, communications, reports, presentations and other documents.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner:
- Gather and analyze information.
- Develop alternative solutions.
- Employ excellent judgement and decision-making ability.
- Work collaboratively and independently:
- Resolve conflicts constructively without blaming.
- Remain calm and professional under pressure.
- Adapt readily to changes in priorities and schedules and be able to multitask.
- Interact effectively with all levels of members, staff, vendors/service providers and the general public:
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Listens to others without interrupting.
- Maintain emotional control when resolving conflicts.
- Remain open to others' ideas.
- Maintain accurate electronic and paper records; set priorities; manage multiple tasks, resources and deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in all responsibilities.
- ASAE (American Society of Association Executives) or IAAP (International Association of Administrative Professionals) credentials a plus.
- Frequent to continuous use of a computer, phone, and other office equipment
- Frequent to continuous attention to details and deadlines
- Overnight travel required to attend board/committee meetings approximately 5% of time (1-2 weeks per year)
- Occasional weekend and evening work are necessary
NCFR offers a competitive compensation package. Benefits include medical, dental, FSA, disability, life, 403b retirement plan, 3 weeks of vacation to start, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, and an Employee Assistance Program.
NCFR is the only multidisciplinary, non-partisan professional organization focused solely on family research, practice, and education. NCFR offers a respectful and collaborative workplace culture, flexible work arrangements, and a learning environment. The NCFR team is dedicated to the organization's mission. For more information about NCFR, visit www.ncfr.org.
National Council on Family Relations
661 LaSalle St., Suite 200
Saint Paul, MN 55114
To apply, please send your letter of application with salary requirements and resume in a single PDF to [email protected]