Extension Assistant/Associate Professor, Family and Consumer Sciences, Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City, Utah
Utah State University Extension invites applications for a Family and Consumer Sciences Extension faculty position. This is a 12-month, fiscal-year appointment and is available immediately. Extension faculty develop, provide, evaluate, and coordinate research-based educational programs for youth and adults. Extension faculty also recruit, train and supervise volunteer leaders and serve as a liaison between local clientele, other resource agencies, and Utah State University administrators, faculty, and programs. Extension faculty have Salt Lake county, regional, and University responsibilities. An office will be provided at the county Extension building in Salt Lake City, Utah. We welcome candidates with diverse interests related to family and consumer sciences such as parenting and relationship education, family finance and housing education, family resiliency and self-sufficiency, life skills, health and wellness, mental health, nutrition, food sciences, food safety, food preservation, poverty reduction and/or food security initiatives, or similar. This estimated start date for this position is September 1, 2019.
Rank will be commensurate with experience, qualifications, and current rank. Appointment opportunities include Extension Assistant/Associate Professor (tenure track). A Master's degree is required for Extension Assistant/Associate ranks.
- Provide leadership to Extension activities
- Develop, implement, and evaluate programs for adults and youth
- Develop partnerships and employ innovative approaches to reach clientele and new audiences
- Pursue internal and external funding to support Extension programming
- Document impacts and produce scholarly publications based on Extension programming
- Manage budgets, personnel, and volunteers
- Serve diverse audiences and support the civil rights mandate of Utah State University Extension
- Serve and collaborate with other Extension and University personnel, community and government agencies, and stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned
- Extension Assistant/Associate faculty ranks require an earned Master's degree in a Family and Consumer Sciences discipline, or related area.
- Ability to plan, organize and direct educational programs
- Experience in teaching adult and/or youth audiences
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Ability to act as a liaison between federal, state, university, and county clientele
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Program development and/or delivery related to Family and Consumer Sciences or similar
- Using various technology platforms for the creation and dissemination of educational webinars, on-line classes, and educational video productions
Skills and experience with:
- Implementing applied research activities
- Grant writing
- Recruiting, supervising, and working with volunteers
- Supervising part-time staff
- Working with diverse, low income and under-served audiences
- Marketing and community engagement via Social media
- Fostering positive relationships with related organizations/agencies
- Fostering positive relationships with community stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish
- Prior experience with the Land Grant University System
Utah State University (USU) was founded in 1888 and is honored to be Utah’s land-grant and space-grant university. USU is a Carnegie RU/H (Research University/High Research Activity) institution with approximately 28,000 students (25,000 undergraduates and 3,000 graduate students) on the Logan main campus, four regional campuses, two USU Eastern campuses, and 28 centers throughout the state. USU offers 162 undergraduate majors, 153 graduate programs, and a variety of innovative stackable associate and certificate credentials. The 2018 rankings from Washington Monthly ranked USU as one of the top 30 national Universities and the 5th best public national university in the nation. As one of the two premier research institutions in Utah, USU is proud to provide a high-quality education at an affordable price. Additional information about Utah State University can be found at: https://www.usu.edu/about/at-a-glance/.
A core characteristic of USU is engagement with communities and people in economic development, improvements to quality of life, and human capital. Through the practical application of knowledge, the University and its faculty engage and share expertise with the state, nation, and world, preserving the historical land-grant tradition of partnering with communities to address critical societal issues in the interest of the public good.
The USU main campus is located in beautiful Logan, Utah; a city of about 50,000 situated in a picturesque mountain valley about 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and proximate region. Additional information about Logan can be found at: http://www.loganutah.org/visitors/about_logan/index.php.
USU recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the university’s academic mission of learning, discovery, and engagement (https://www.usu.edu/president/missionstatement/). USU is an AA/EO employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity/expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy or local, state, or federal law. Learn more at www.aaeo.usu.edu/non-discrimination. USU is sensitive to the needs of dual career couples and provides a Dual Career Assistance program. Additional information can be found at: http://www.usu.edu/provost/faculty-life/dual-career-assistance.cfm.
Employees typically work indoors and are protected from weather and/or contaminants, but not, necessarily, occasional temperature changes.
Utah State University (http://www.usu.edu/) is Utah's Land-Grant Institution with an approximate enrollment of 28,000 students. Through the Extension system, the University extends research based information across the state. Extension faculty support elected officials and citizens in all 29 Utah counties. Utah State University is sensitive to the needs of dual-career couples.
Utah State University
Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
Along with the online application, please attach:
- Cover Letter
- Resume to be uploaded in the candidate profile
Please do not upload your cover letter. You will be instructed to type or paste it during your application.
**Document size may not exceed 10 MB.**