Position Summary: Dorm Parents actively engage and challenge students to learn. Respect and dignity of the individual student is a core value. Dorm Parents act as in loco parentis, providing academic support, safety, and structure for adolescents living within a dorm setting. Dorm Parents also teach dorm curriculum, participate in recreation, mentor advisees, and communicate with the students, parents, educational consultants, and other faculty and administrators.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support Wasatch Academy’s mission, values, institutional goals, and educational philosophy.
- Serve as a positive role model.
- Be approachable and empathetic.
- Supervise dorm life
- Act as in loco parentis to the students in the dorm by “parenting” the students in social, emotional, and physical areas of their lives.
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver dorm curriculum that enhances student’s life skills.
- Assess, support, encourage, and mentor the individual student.
- Student Recreation Process
- Supervise students on recreational events that happen on the weekend or during the week.
- Plan recreation events that present a learning opportunity for the students in the dorm.
- Advisee Process
- Meet with advisees on a regular basis.
- Assist with academic or emotional needs of advisees.
- Ensure advisee has appropriate academic and emotional support.
- Encourage and mentor each individual advisee.
- Effectively communicate with students, parents, educational consultants, other faculty and administration.
- Collaborate with the Residential Life team and other departments on campus.
Compensation & Benefits: Compensation includes competitive base salary, Housing, Health benefits, and retirement contribution.
Type: Full-time, 10 months/year
Desired Start Date: August 15, 2016
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required. Social Science field preferred.
- Ability to quickly establish relationships and effectively collaborate with school community.
- Previous experience working with teenagers.
- Willingness to learn, take direction, and show dependability.
- Exhibit clear professional boundaries.
- Ability to communicate effectively; written, verbal, and in conflict.
- Proficiency in google docs, familiarity with general computer programs, and data entry.
- Extremely well organized.
- Value culture of respect, innovation, community, and ownership.
- An understanding of independent boarding school culture.
- CFLE preferred
Introduction: Wasatch Academy (WA) is an independent, college preparatory, international boarding school located in Mt. Pleasant, Utah
WA teaches 360 students in grades 8-12 from 40 countries and 30 states, including 170 domestic students, and 150 international students. Although founded in 1875 as a Presbyterian boarding school, WA has been non-denominational since 1975, and actively seeks religious and cultural diversity.
120 S 100 W
Mount Pleasant, UT 84647
Required Applicant Documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references (telephone and email)
- Official Transcripts
Instructions to Applicants: Send completed application materials to:
Attn: Amie Mondragon
Dean of Girls and Dean of Residential Life
120 South 100 West
Mount Pleasant, Utah 84647
or [email protected]
Phone: (435) 462-1418