Assistant Professor Family and Human Services
Washburn University's Family and Human Services Department invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor with anticipated start date of August 1, 2023. This position is a 9-month fulltime, tenure-track appointment. For information on Washburn University’s standards on tenure and promotion, please visit University Policy on Faculty Tenure.
Essential Job Functions:
• Teach 12 credit hours per semester or a full workload as defined by the faculty handbook.
• Teach undergraduate and/or graduate Family and Human Services courses in assigned modalities (e.g., online, hybrid, face-to-face, Zoom, etc.).
• Advise students, maintain office hours in accordance with policy, attend meetings, and engage in service activities in the Department, the School of Applied Services, the University, the profession, and the community.
• Hold and maintain the required license.
• Fulfill expectations associated with a tenure-track appointment for scholarship.
• Doctoral degree (or ABD with receipt of doctoral degree no later than June 1, 2024) in a field related to Family & Human Services (e.g., Couples and Family Therapy, Counseling, Human Development, Psychology, Social Work).
• Clinical experience in a primary domain of the Department (addiction counseling and/or trauma and recovery services).
• Demonstrated commitment to developing inclusive teaching practices that engage students from diverse backgrounds.
• Hold (and maintain during position) a Master’s or higher license issued by the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board (e.g., LMAC, LCAC, LP, LMSW, LMFT, LPC, LMLP).
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
• Post-secondary teaching experience in academic and/or professional settings.
• Experience with learning management systems (e.g., D2L, Blackboard) for online education.
• Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) with the National Council on Family Relations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Please upload a cover letter and cv as instructed on the application. The cover letter should address all required and preferred qualifications and evidence of holding an eligible BSRB license. Contact information for three current professional references will be collected as part of the application form.
- If you have questions about the position, please contact Professor Deborah Altus, Department Chair, at [email protected].
Washburn University is a teaching-focused, student-centered, public institution that has earned national recognition for its high-impact programs for first-generation students and that is located in the metropolitan setting of Topeka. Washburn has a student body of over 5,500 undergraduate, graduate, and law students, a significant and growing number of whom are first-generation and Pell-Grant eligible. The University has created educational pathways for all students to be successful and achieve their educational goals.
Washburn is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and cultivating a vibrant and inclusive working environment and curriculum. We offer competitive wages, an excellent benefits program, a supportive leadership team, and a healthy work/life balance. At Washburn, we strive to ensure a campus climate that supports the success of every employee and appreciates the unique skills and expertise each contributes to serving our students.
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in higher education.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Washburn University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants for employment. If you are an applicant who needs a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please email [email protected] or call 785-670-1538 at least five (5) business days in advance of the date you need the requested accommodation.
1700 SW College Ave
Topeka, KS 66621
Apply by visiting the Washburn University Careers page, found here:
Background Check Required