Assistant Professor of Human Development and Family Studies
The Department of Counseling, Leadership, and Educational Studies at Winthrop University is seeking an energetic and involved tenure-track assistant professor to teach in an undergraduate Human Development & Family Studies degree program recognized by the National Council on Family Relations as a Certified Family Life Educator approved program. We seek a candidate who will be an exemplary leader, teacher, scholar, and active participant in the college, on campus, and with community partners.
Position Availability: August 16, 2020
The Richard W. Riley College of Education (COE) has a strong reputation in the preparation and advancement of highly qualified professionals for South Carolina and the country. Winthrop University maintains close working relationships with schools and agencies while benefiting from close proximity to Charlotte, NC, high quality local schools, and an affordable cost of living. The college is committed to building a diverse educational environment. Individuals from under-represented groups or with experience working with under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Teach undergraduate HDFS program courses
- Provide vision for program initiatives and accreditation
- Supervise student field experiences and internships in agencies/settings serving families and children
- Collaborate with professionals from private and public settings to enhance the degree program
- Provide support at the departmental level with curriculum development, assessment, program planning, and student recruitment
- Participate in service to the program, department, college, and university
- Advise and mentor undergraduate majors
- Participate in community and professional organizations
- Seek grants to support curriculum and program development
- Engage in significant scholarship to improve the lives of children and families
- Use technology to enhance student learning, increase access, maintain program data, and facilitate recruitment and retention efforts
- Engage in teaching and other program-related activities in the evenings, summers, online, and occasionally weekends, as needed
Position is full-time, nine-month, tenure-track with option of summer employment if enrollment is sufficient. ABD nearing dissertation completion may be considered at instructor level in a non-tenure track one-year position.
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886 and located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop University offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its degree-granting Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for the University’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and is recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional arts and business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 18 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
- Doctorate in Human Development & Family Studies or closely related field. (ABD nearing dissertation completion may be considered at instructor level in a non-tenure track position.)
- Subject matter expertise in Family Studies or Family Life Education
- Provisional certification as a Certified Family Life Educator or eligible to take the certification examination.
- Ability to work collaboratively with departmental members in maintaining and strengthening the program.
- A minimum of two years recent work experience in a family life/studies, child and family development, adult development and aging, or related position.
- Successful record of scholarship commensurate with rank.
- Successful college teaching experience.
- Coursework or cognate in Life Span Development, Family Studies, Family Life Education, Child & Youth Development, Adult Development and Aging, or closely related field
- Demonstrated ability to use digital technologies for instructional purposes.
- Working knowledge of the National Council on Family Relations 10 family life education content areas.
701 Oakland Avenue
12 Kinard delivery
Rock Hill, SC 29733
Application review will begin on March 2, 2020. Applications received after the start of review may be considered if an acceptable candidate is not identified.
Submit the following materials:
- A cover letter including the candidate’s interest in the position, qualifications, teaching philosophy, and research interests;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Graduate transcripts for all advanced degrees (unofficial acceptable for application phase); and
- Names and contact information for five professional references. (Provide in the required form through the application system.)
Additional materials may be requested during the review process.
Apply at https://www.winthrop.edu/hr/faculty/
Specific questions related to this search should be directed to [email protected].
Winthrop University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.