What Else Are Student Affiliates Doing?
Below is just a sample of the activities that our student affiliate members have taken on. Want to know more about what student affiliates do? Student officers from our Samford University student affiliate lay out their activities in this video.
Academic and career development
- The Northwest Council on Family Relations (regional professional affiliate) included a speed mentoring session for students to network with professionals during its annual conference.
- The University of Maryland student affiliate conducted a resumé-writing workshop and a research symposium day.
- The University of Nebraska-Kearney affiliate had guest speakers — two faculty members and three recent graduates — at four monthly meetings, who discussed career and academic development paths.
- Weber State University hosted a career roundtable luncheon for students and professionals from the field. The affiliate also conducted an open hour each semester where a professional from the community discussed his/her work, including a marriage and family therapist working in foster care, and a graduate school professor.
- Central Michigan University had a job-search workshop and a graduate school application workshop.
- The University of Missouri affiliate conducted a graduate school panel and a mock conference presentation session.
- The Minnesota Council on Family Relations, another professional-level affiliate with a student section, held a workshop on best practices in presenting posters at conferences.
- The Stephen F. Austin State University affiliate (Jacks Council) received a proclamation of Family Life Education Month from the academic major, and held a networking open house that included students, faculty and local professionals.
Increasing awareness of the family field
- Student leaders from the Samford University affiliate wrote an article describing Family Studies and CFLE awareness efforts at their college, including an alumni-contact program. It ran in the CFLE Network newsletter and is posted on the NCFR website.
- The University of North Texas student affiliate held a baby food drive for the Denton (Texas) Community Food Center, in conjunction with Family Life Education Month.