2023 NCFR Conference Call for Proposals
The National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) is the premier professional association for understanding and strengthening families through interdisciplinary research, theory, and practice.
The proposal deadline of March 1 has passed for the 2023 NCFR Annual Conference, scheduled for Nov. 8–11, 2023, in Orlando, Florida. All first authors will be notified of their proposal status by June 1, 2023.
Thank you to everyone who submitted! Proposals for the Theory Construction and Research Methodology (TCRM) Preconference Workshop will be accepted until March 15, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. PST. Learn more.
NCFR is committed to ensuring the health and well-being of its in-person conference participants. Read more.
The Way We Are Now: Families and Communities at the Center of the Syndemic
If you have submitted a proposal to NCFR since 2018, your email login is already in the submission database. You can update your email address or reset your password if you have forgotten it.
Please note two call opportunities have separate submission systems/processes:
- Theory Construction and Research Methodology (TCRM) Preconference Workshop
Proposal deadline March 15, 2023
- Affiliate Councils Workshops — student and state/regional workshops
Proposal deadline March 1, 2023
The Submission Process
The online system for submitting conference proposals will open soon. Proposals are due March 1, 2023 — 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.
- NCFR invites family scholars and practitioners from across all disciplines and career levels to submit proposals for papers, posters, symposia, and more.
- NCFR also invites proposals for lightning papers and collaborative workshops. These sessions offer enhanced opportunities to interact and dialogue with participants during the session.
- Proposals do not need to be part of a symposium.
- Proposals for the Affiliate Councils are due March 1. These student- and state/regional-focused workshop proposals are to be submitted via email. Learn more.
- Proposals for the TCRM Workshop are due March 15. These proposals on theory construction and research methodology are to be submitted via Google Form or email. Learn more.
- First time submitting a proposal? Sign up to be matched with a proposal mentor. To participate, email a draft proposal to Cindy Winter before Feb. 15, 2023.
Conference Proposal Grading Rubric
Back for its second year! We have a conference proposal grading rubric for reviewers to use when scoring conference proposals. Please review this new rubric as you prepare your proposal to ensure that you are submitting a high-quality proposal. The review criteria are the same as in years past, and noted in the call for proposal, but a definition for each score is provided. Note that the clarity of writing and proposal organization is considered as part of the score in each of the six questions. Proposals will continue to be scored on a 5 to 1 scale resulting in the highest possible total score of 30.
Instructions How to Submit a Proposal
Detailed written instructions provide a thorough understanding of the submission process.
The video below also provides an overview of the process. While you watch the video, have the written instructions available to answer any questions you might have.
More Video Resources:
Proposal Mentoring Program
NCFR offers a conference proposal mentoring program. We have assembled a cadre of experienced presenters who are willing to volunteer their time to help you with your proposal. To participate, email a draft proposal to Cindy Winter before Feb. 15, 2023. We will match you with a supportive mentor who will give you feedback before you submit your proposal online.
Conference Proposal Reviewers Needed
NCFR members are sought to serve as conference proposal reviewers. A high number of proposals is expected, and to ensure a high-quality program, all proposals will be blind-reviewed. Reviewers are also needed for the TCRM Workshop and you can select this option on the sign up form. Serving as a proposal reviewer is a benefit of NCFR membership.
Access Reviewer Sign Up Form
(NCFR members only; you will be prompted to log in)