NCFR Report: Families and Cultural Intersections
Family Focus: Families and Cultural Intersections
When cultures intersect in this complex world, change happens. Articles in this edition of Family Focus address how families are often the agents of change within their own native culture and when they interact with new cultures.
- Overview and Introduction — Judith A. Myers-Walls, Ph.D., CFLE Emeritus
- Biracial Families: Growth, Change, and Opportunities — Roudi Nazarinia Roy, Ph.D., CFLE, and Alethea Rollins, Ph.D.
- Black Panther: Cultural Intersections Among Black Families, Media Representation, Racial Identity, and Perception — Leslie A. Anderson, M.S., LMFT
- Male Involvement: An Evolving Global Cross-Cultural Concept in Family-Centered Health Care — Rosemary W. Eustace, Ph.D., RN, PHNA-BC
- Underage Marriage Partners: Intersections Between India and the United States — Toni Hill, Ph.D., Sharon Obasi, Ph.D., Sangeeta Boken, M.S., and Bruce Elder, J.D.
- Building a Transnational Nest for Children’s Education in Gireogi Families — Hyun-Kyung You, Ph.D., Yu-Jin Jeong, Ph.D., and Young In Kwon, Ph.D.
- A Glimpse Into Refugee Family Life Through the Lenses of Scholarship and Direct Encounter — Catherine Solheim, Ph.D.
- Parental Involvement Among First- and Second-Generation Immigrants to the United States — Karen Kramer, Ph.D., Adam Williams, M.A., and Ilana Redstone Akresh, Ph.D.
- Cultural Symbols and Conflict as Uniting Forces in Acculturation and Ethnic Identity in the Diaspora — Christina M. Bobesky, Ph.D.
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
Family Focus articles are exclusive to NCFR members. Not a member yet? The winter 2018 issue Understanding Gun Violence From a Family Perspective is open to the public.
News Articles and Member Group Updates
The following news articles and updates below from our summer 2018 issue are open to the public.
- Join Us at the 2018 Annual Conference — Bahira Sherif Trask, Ph.D., Chair, Conference Program Committee
- Nominate Candidates to Be NCFR’s Next Leaders
- President's Report: Get Into the Fall School Spirit — Anisa M. Zvonkovic, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Executive Review: Expanding NCFR’s Resources for a Changing World and Dynamic Discipline — Diane Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Directions: Beyond the Book Review: Expanding to Programs and Curricula — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- Family Science Report: Policy Activities at NCFR, Highlighting the 2018 NCFR Annual Conference — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Inclusion and Diversity Committee (IDC) Update Conversations on Social Justice: How Our Social Locations Shape Our Work — Elizabeth G. Holman, Ph.D.; Tiffany L. Brown, Ph.D.; Anthony G. James, Jr., Ph.D., CFLE; Tyler Jamison, Ph.D.; Kristy Y. Shih, Ph.D.; and Thomas W. Blume, Ph.D., LPC, LMFT; IDC Members
- Feminism and Family Studies Section Update — Abbie E. Goldberg, Ph.D.
- Families and Health Section Update — Jerica Berge, Ph.D., M.P.H., LMFT, CFLE
- Family Policy Section Update — Anne Farrell, Ph.D.; Morgan Cooley, Ph.D., LCSW; Erica Jordan, Ph.D., CFLE; Anthony Ferraro, Ph.D., CFLE
- In Memoriam: Jan Trost
NCFR Report is a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means without permission of NCFR.
Permissions are available by contacting NCFR. NCFR reserves the right to deny any permission at its sole discretion.