NCFR Report: Family Sustainability
Family Sustainability: Contextualizing Relationships Within Evolving Systems
The articles in this edition of Family Focus explore the theme for the 2019 NCFR Annual Conference. As families face stressors related to change and evolving systems, they may find strength and resilience in the family relationships around them. This concept is examined from several directions ranging from broad theoretical perspectives, to more specific examples of how relationships help create and support resilience in families.
- Overview and Introduction — Judith A. Myers-Walls, Ph.D., CFLE Emerita
- Resilience Processes in Postdivorce Families and Stepfamilies — Lawrence Ganong, Ph.D., FNCFR, FGSA; and Marilyn Coleman, Ph.D.
- Relationships in Context: An Explanation of the Contextual Relational Uncertainty Model — Kale Monk, Ph.D., CFLE, and TeKisha M. Rice, M.S., CFLE
- Egalitarian Black Families: Over Time and in the Present — Rebecca Swann-Jackson, M.Ed
- The Resiliency of Black Fathers Dealing With Work-Family Conflict — Joslyn Armstrong, Ph.D., and Shar’Dane Harris, M.S., Ed.S.
- Surviving “She Should Be Here”: Maternal Mortality in the Black Community — Deanna Granger, M.Ed., and Katie Heiden-Rootes, Ph.D.
- Relatives Raising Children: Leveraging Relationships and Caregiving Alliances to Sustain Family Well-Being — Julia M. Arroyo, M.A.
- Sustaining Family Relationships Over Time Through Family-Based Nature Activities — Dina Izenstark, Ph.D.
- Promoting Family Strengths to Reduce Elder Family Financial Exploitation — Jamie Rich and Axton Betz-Hamilton, Ph.D., AFC
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
News Articles and Member Group Updates
The following news articles and updates below from our fall 2019 issue are open to the public.
- Join Us at the 2019 Annual Conference — Katia Paz Goldfarb, Ph.D.
- Nominate Candidates to Be NCFR’s Next Leaders
- My Swan Song as President: Reflecting on My Years on the NCFR Board — Anisa M. Zvonkovic, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Discussing the State of Family Science With NCFR Leaders — Diane Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Neurodiversity—Flipping the Narrative — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- Policy Activities at NCFR, Highlighting the 2019 NCFR Annual Conference — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Inclusion and Diversity Committee Report: Social Justice in the Context of Family Science: Considerations for Teaching, Scholarship, and Research — Tiffany L. Brown, Ph.D.; Anthony G. James, Jr., Ph.D., CFLE; Christi R. McGeorge, Ph.D.; and Elizabeth G. Holman, Ph.D.
- Feminism and Family Studies Section Update — Abbie E. Goldberg, Ph.D., Section Chair
- Families and Health Section Update — Kimberly Greder, Ph.D., CFLE, CFCS, Section Chair
- Family Policy Section Update — Anne Farrell, Ph.D., Section Chair
- In Memoriam: Jetse Sprey
- NCFR Launches Mentoring Academy Benefit for Members
- Congratulations to Our New Certified Family Life Educators
- Congratulations to NCFR’s Honors Graduates for Summer 2019
- Welcome to the Newest Members of NCFR
- Free On-Demand Webinars for Members
NCFR Report is a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means without permission of NCFR.
Permissions are available by contacting NCFR. NCFR reserves the right to deny any permission at its sole discretion.