NCFR Report: Contouring Family Science’s Negative Spaces
Family Focus on Contouring Family Science’s Negative Spaces
The aim of this issue of Family Focus is to bring attention to, and make visible, negative spaces that exist within family research, evidence-supported practices, educational pedagogies, and policies. Our contributing authors share a few examples of how scholarship can help us better understand and support the dynamic and fluid nature of families.
Access to Family Focus articles is a benefit of NCFR membership — join today!
- Overview and Introduction — Ted G. Futris, Ph.D., CFLE
- Addressing Dysconscious Racism in the Family Science Classroom — Bill Anderson, Ph.D., CFLE, Associate Professor; and Miranda Bejda
- Genuine Partnership With Racially and Ethnically Diverse Families in Education — Megan Fitzgerald, Ph.D.; Adina Isaacs, Nicole Southall, Andrea Hunter, Ionie Scott, Gabrielle Reid, Adriana Kirby, Cheyenne Josey, Ayrika Calhoun, and Dorothy Green, education professionals, Washington D.C. care and education system
- The Family First Prevention Services Act: Opportunities and Challenges for Research and Practice — Anne F. Farrell, Ph.D.; Morgan E. Cooley, Ph.D., LCSW; and Cara Karter
- The “Negative Space” of Premarital Education: Policy Efforts to Meet the Need — Tiffany L. Clyde, M.S.; and Alan J. Hawkins, Ph.D.
- Helping Families in the Time of COVID-19 — Jane B. Brooks, Ph.D.
- Family Life Coaching: Part of the Family Science Toolbox — Margaret E. Machara, Ph.D., CFLE; Debbie Kruenegel-Farr, Ph.D.; and Kimberly Allen, Ph.D., CFLE, BCC
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
Family Focus PDF (members only)
News Articles and Member Group Updates
News articles and updates from our fall 2020 issue are open to the public.
- Join Us at the 2020 Annual Conference — Brad van Eeden-Moorefield, Ph.D., CFLE, Chair, 2020 Conference Program Committee
- Hope in These Troubled Times — Leigh A. Leslie, Ph.D., NCFR President
- The Decision to Move to a 2020 Virtual Conference — Diane L. Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- “Defund the Police”: A Call to Action for Family Science and Family Life Educators — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- Policy Activities at NCFR, Highlighting the 2020 NCFR Annual Conference — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Writing Wednesdays Builds Community and Collaboration Among NCFR Colleagues — Jordan A. Arellanes, Ph.D., and Jennifer L. Doty, Ph.D., CFLE
- IDC Special Session Highlights a Negative Space in Family Science: Environmental Justice — Members of the NCFR Inclusion and Diversity Committee
- Family Policy Section Update — Morgan Cooley, Ph.D., LCSW, Anthony Ferraro, Ph.D., CFLE, Jordan Arellanes, Ph.D., Susan Meyerle, Ph.D., section officers
- Families and Health Section Update — Kimberly Greder, Ph.D., CFLE, Section Chair
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Families Section Update — Anthony G. James Jr., Ph.D., CFLE, Section Chair-elect; and Yolanda T. Mitchell, Ph.D., Section Chair
- Advancing Family Science Section Update — Jennifer S. Reinke, Ph.D., LAMFT, CFLE, AFS Section Chair
- Nominate Candidates to Be NCFR’s Next Leaders — Jodi B. Dworkin, Ph.D., and Heather M. Helms, Ph.D., NCFR Elections Council Co-chairs