Families and Health Section Update
The Families and Health (FH) Section has several exciting events planned for the virtual 2020 NCFR Annual Conference. I hope you can join us!
2020 Annual Conference Special Events
- Special Session: Promoting Family and Community Health and Resilience: Expanding Our Understanding of Diversity to Include Individuals With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (Session #102, Wednesday, Nov. 11, 10–11:15 a.m. CT). Co-organized with the Family Therapy Section.
- Three invited-paper symposia:
- The Mosaic of Family Gerontology: A Decade Review of Research, Theory, and Methodology (Session #125, Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2:30–3:45 p.m. Central Time). Co-organized with the Research and Theory Section.
- Social Determinants of Health and Obesity Across the Lifespan (Session #201, Thursday, Nov. 12, 10–11:15 a.m. CT)
- Well-being and Mental Health in Grandfamilies: Development, Diversity, and Intersectionality (Session #311, Friday, Nov. 13, 11:30 a.m.–12:45 p.m. CT)
- Families and Health Section Meeting (Session #242, Thursday, Nov. 12, 5:15–6:15 p.m. CT). We will honor our award recipients, review accomplishments and future directions, and welcome incoming members of the FH board.
Note: A 1-year free FH Section membership will be offered to all NCFR members who attend our section meeting and are not currently FH Section members. Join us!
Awards! There Is Still Time to Apply for a Poster Award
Do you want to be recognized for the excellent research you are doing? Do you have an outstanding poster that was accepted to the NCFR Annual Conference in the Families and Health Section? Consider submitting your poster to the NCFR Families and Health Section Outstanding Student and New Professional Poster Award.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW . . .
WHO CAN APPLY: Any student or new professional (SNP) who is a current member of the Families and Health Section and the first author on an accepted poster is invited to apply. One award will potentially be presented in each of two categories: (a) undergrad and masters students and (b) doctoral students or new professionals.
JUDGING CRITERIA: Posters will be judged on relevance and clear delivery of research content (background, objective, methods, findings, discussion), as well as visual quality.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit the following to the FH Section’s SNP representative Carolyn Sutter ([email protected]) no later than Oct. 3, 2020:
- A PDF of your finished poster
- Your current status: undergraduate, master’s, or Ph.D. student, or new professional
- Information on your designated poster session and time during the NCFR Annual Conference (if applicable)
PRIZE: The winner will receive a $100 prize, a certificate, and ribbon for your poster. During the NCFR conference, you will be recognized during the Families and Health Section meeting. This award will also look great on your CV and can help offset your conference costs! You will be notified via email of your award status prior to the conference.
FIND OUT MORE: Visit ncfr.org/awards/section-awards/families-health for more information.