NCFR Report: Dismantling Structural Inequality and Racism
In this issue of Family Focus, our contributing authors share their professional, empirically informed insight to help deconstruct how structural inequity and racism affects us as scholars and practitioners and affects the families we study and serve.
Access to Family Focus articles is a benefit of NCFR membership — join today!
- Overview and Introduction — Guest Editors Annika Karlsen, Ph.D., LMFTA, CFLE, and Adrienne M. Duke, Ph.D.; and Family Focus Editor Ted G. Futris, Ph.D., CFLE
- Creating Culturally Competent Family Scholars — Jacquelyn Wiersma-Mosley, Ph.D.
- The Invisible Costs of the Model Minority Myth on Asian American Families — Kristy Y. Shih, Ph.D.; and I. Joyce Chang, Ph.D.
- E(race)ing Mexican Americans: Why Denying Racial Indigeneity Constitutes White Supremacy in Family Science — Azucena Verdín, Ph.D.
- Racialized Housing Segregation and the Structural Oppression of Black Families: Understanding the Mechanisms at Play — Bethany L. Letiecq, Ph.D.; Joseph M. Williams, Ph.D.; Colleen K. Vesely, Ph.D.; and Jocelyn R. Smith Lee, Ph.D.
- Dismantling Structural Racism and White Nuclear Family Hegemony in the Tax Code — Dylan J. F. Bellisle, M.S.W., Ph.D.; Justin S. Harty, M.S.W., doctoral student; and Bethany L. Letiecq, Ph.D.
- Work–Family Conflict is a Racial Justice Issue — Kelly D. Chandler, Ph.D.; Kara K. McElvaine, M.S., doctoral student; Jey Blodgett, M.S., doctoral student; and Corine Tyler, M.S., doctoral student
- Decolonizing Our Classrooms, Ourselves: A Response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Calls to Action — Hilary A. Rose, Ph.D., CFLE
- Mobilizing Family Science Departments in Antiracism Efforts — Shardé McNeil Smith, Ph.D.; Carolyn N. Orson, Ph.D.; Naya Sutton, doctoral student; Jennifer L. Hardesty, Ph.D., CFLE; and Brianna L. Anderson, Ph.D.
- Engendering Rapport: Recruiting African Americans in Research Studies in an Era of Heightened Mistrust — Chalandra M. Bryant, Ph.D., CFLE
- Social Justice in Action: Family Science as a Community of Scholarship and Activism — Kevin Roy, Ph.D.; Jessica N. Fish, Ph.D.; Amy Lewin, Psy.D.; and Elaine A. Anderson, Ph.D.
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
News Articles and Member Group Updates
News articles and updates from our fall 2021 issue are open to the public.
- The Science of Families: Nurturing Hope, Happiness, & Health—2021 Annual Conference — Tammy L. Henderson, Ph.D., CFLE, 2021 NCFR Conference Program Chair
- Family Science Impact: Supporting Domestic Violence Clients to Prevent a Return to Homelessness — Member Q&A with Kimberly Leach, B.S., CFLE-P
Critical Race Theory
- Exploring Critical Race Theory in Family Science: Introduction & Overview
- Critical Race Theory Is Critical — Kristal S. Johnson, M.A.
- Demystifying Critical Race Theory: What It Is, and What It Isn’t — Mellissa S. Gordon, Ph.D.
- How Might CRT Guide Social Science Research? Practical Examples From the Field — Mellissa S. Gordon, Ph.D.; and Paula Salvador, M.S.
- #QuantCrit: Integrating CRT With Quantitative Methods in Family Science — Michael G. Curtis, M.S.; and Joshua L. Boe, Ph.D., LMFT
- A Critical Race Approach to Academic Journal Editor and Reviewer Bias in Manuscript Acceptance — Joslyn Armstrong, Ph.D.; and Jasmine Armstrong, Ph.D.
- President's Report: Reflections on Two Years Like No Others — Leigh A. Leslie, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Executive Review: Advancing Family Science to NCFR Members and Beyond — Diane L. Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Directions: First Virtual Family Life Education Summit a Success! — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- Family Science Report: Highlights of the Upcoming 2021 NCFR Annual Conference — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Elections Update: Nominate Candidates to Be NCFR’s Next Leaders
- Family Policy Section Update