NCFR Report: Families in the Shadows (Part 1)
As Family Scientists we promote the well-being and resiliency of diverse families. Through research, practice, policy, and teaching we strive to shine light on the “unseen” – families that are often unrecognized, less studied, underserved, or not valued. In this issue of Family Focus, the contributors showcase a tapestry of scholarship that illuminate these families and their unique needs out of the shadows and into the light.
Access to Family Focus articles is a benefit of NCFR membership — join today!
- Overview and Introduction —Ted G. Futris, Ph.D., CFLE, Family Focus Editor
- Utilizing a Culturally Specific, Strengths-Based Approach in Family Science Research — Jennifer Mendoza Beasley, Ph.D.; and Valerie Jarvis McMillan, Ph.D.
- Building Relational Accountability with Indigenous Peoples: Reducing Barriers and Increasing Indigenous Visibility Within Family Science — Sarah Allen, Ph.D.; Stephen M. Gavazzi, Ph.D.; Janis L. Henderson, Ph.D.; Ashley L. Landers, Ph.D.; Bethany L. Letiecq, Ph.D.; Hilary A. Rose, Ph.D., CFLE; and Janeal M. White, Ph.D., CFLE
- Hiding Racism in the Shadows Versus Bringing Racism to the Light — Deadric T. Williams, Ph.D.
- How U.S. Public Health Policy for “Safe Infant Sleep” Puts Bedsharing Families in the Shadows — Elaine S. Barry, Ph.D.
- In the Shadow of Familial Identity Theft — Axton Betz-Hamilton, Ph.D., AFC; and Priscilla Nez, master's student
- Farm Families and Stress: An Overlooked Issue — Mary Nelson Robertson, Ph.D., CHES; Lisa A. Ziegler, M.S., CHES; and David R. Buys, Ph.D., M.S.P.H., CPH
- Couples with ADHD: Living and Loving with an Invisible Disorder — Christine Hargrove, M.S.F.T., doctoral student, Department of Human Development and Family Science, University of Georgia
News Articles and Member Group Updates
News articles and updates open to the public.
- Lest We Forget! — Norma J. Bond Burgess, Ph.D., NCFR President
- What Coursework Do Family Science Academic Programs Require? Exploring & Discussing Standards — Diane Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- NCFR Continuing to Expand Services to Practitioners — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education,
- Highlights of the Upcoming 2022 NCFR Annual Conference — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Family Science Impact: Connecting Agriculture & Public Health to Support Families’ Well-Being — Member Q&A with Ahlishia Shipley, Ph.D., CFLE