Family Focus: Cultural Sea Change and Families
The Family Focus section of this issue of NCFR Report — themed "Cultural Sea Change and Families" — includes articles about the changing nature of marriage, sibling relationships, Black parent-child relationships, suicide and LGBTQ youth, and more.
NCFR members: View the full PDF of this issue. You will need to be logged in to the website to view articles and the PDF.
- Parenting and Protecting: Advocating Microprotections Through Loving and Supporting Black Parent-Child Relationships — by Anthony James, Jr., Ph.D., Family Studies & Social Work Department of Miami University
- The Definition of Family is Changing, and It Matters to Our Work — by Dylan L. Galos, M.S.; Eugene Hall, M.A.; and Jenifer K. McGuire, Ph.D.; all of the University of Minnesota
- How Far Will the Shore of U.S. Marital and Divorce Law Shift? — by Kelly Roberts, Ph.D., LMFT, University of North Texas
- Mixed Methods and the Military — by Julia M. Bernard, Ph.D. East Tennessee State University; and Mary Oglesby, M.S., McNeese State University
- Teaching Family Diversity: Working With Foreign-Born Instructors — by Helyne Frederick, Ph.D., Winthrop University; and Catherine Polydore, Ph.D., Eastern Illinois University
- Emerging Adulthood and Cancer: Families Confronting and Communicating About a Young Member's Disease and Recovery — by Kathleen Galvin, Ph.D., Northwestern University
- Conceptualizing the Transformative Sibling Process: Toward a Framework for Understanding Alternative Coparenting Relationships in Diverse Family Systems — by Jose-Michael Gonzalez, doctoral student, University of Arizona
- Parental Leave in the U.S.: International Outlier Riding a New Wave Among Cross-Currents — by Michael Rush, Ph.D., School of Social Policy, Social Work and Social Justice, University College Dublin; and Rudy Ray Seward, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, University of North Texas
- Suicide Risk and Protective Factors in the Family for LGBTQ Adults and Adolescents — by Rachel L. Hughes, MA, PLMFT; Katie Heiden-Rootes, Ph.D., LMFT; Ashley Wiegand, MA, LMFT; and Danielle Bono, MA, LPC; all of Saint Louis University
- Painting All Muslims With a Broad Brush: The Need for Perspective, a Larger Frame, and a Kinder Heart — by Hoa N. Nguyen, doctoral student; Saeid Kianpour, MFT, doctoral student; Yesim Keskin, doctoral student; and Fred P. Piercy, Ph.D.; all of Virginia Tech