Family Focus on Dating and Mate Selection
In this Family Focus section of NCFR Report, your colleagues write about romantic relationships, courtship, partnering, and dissolution. Topics include healthy adolescent relationships, mental and physical health correlates, technology's impact on romance, ethnic and cultural influences, and more.
NCFR members: View the full PDF of this issue. You will need to be logged in to the website to view articles and the PDF.
- Healthy Adolescent Romantic Relationships — by Jennifer Kerpelman, Ph.D., Professor and Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Auburn University
- Relationship Initiation and Early Dating — by Dana A. Weiser, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, and Sylvia Niehuis, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Texas Tech University
- Together Again: The Emerging Trend of On-Again/Off-Again Relationships — by Rachel Lindstrom, M.S., doctoral student, Department of Sociology, The Pennsylvania State University; J. Kale Monk, M.S., CFLE, doctoral student, Department of Human and Community Development, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Amber Vennum, Ph.D., LMFT, CFLE, Assistant Professor, Department of Marriage and Family Therapy, Kansas State University
- Mental and Physical Health Correlates of Nonmarital Relationship Dissolution — by Jamie L. Graham, M.A., doctoral student; Elizabeth Keneski, M.A., doctoral student; and Timothy J. Loving, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Human Development and Family Sciences, The University of Texas-Austin
- Dating and Mate Selection Among Adult Children of Immigrants — by Olena Nesteruk, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Family and Child Studies, Montclair State University
- Moving Forward or Moving On? Predicting Progression and Dissolution in Dating Couples — by J. Kale Monk, M.S., CFLE, doctoral student; and Brian Ogolsky, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Human and Community Development, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- "TEXT ME": Impact of Technology on Today's Romantic Relationships — by David Knox, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Sociology, East Carolina University
- Cultural Influences on Dating and Courtship — by K. Anh Do, M.S., doctoral student; and Yan R. Xia, Ph.D., CFLE, Associate Professor and Department Graduate Chair, Department of Child, Youth, and Family Studies, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Black Men and Marriage: Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full? — by Tera R. Jordan, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Iowa State University
- Intimacy Across the Lifespan — by Nicole A. Graves, Ph.D., CFCS-HDFS, Lecturer, Department of Counseling and Human Development, South Dakota State University
Copyright and Permissions
Family Focus is part of NCFR Report, a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means without permission of NCFR. Reprints of this publication and permissions for use are available by contacting NCFR at 888-781-9331 or [email protected].