Family Focus on Early Childhood
In this Family Focus section of NCFR Report, your colleagues review overindulgence, early childhood education and literacy, international perspectives, and more.
NCFR members: View the full PDF of this issue. You will need to be logged in to the website to view articles and the PDF.
- Home-Based Preschools in Village Communities: Lessons From Field Work in Cambodia — by Anu Sachdev, Ph.D. student, Comparative and International Education, Lehigh University, and Director of the Early Childhood Education Program Art as a Way of Learning; Whitney Szmodis, Ph.D. candidate, Teaching, Learning, and Technology, Lehigh University; and Sothy Eng, Ph.D., Professor of Practice, Comparative and International Education, Lehigh University
- The Economic Payoffs of Early Childhood Education — by Timothy J. Bartik, senior economist, W.E. Upjohn Institute, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Raising Children in an Age of Overindulgence — by David Bredehoft, Ph.D., CFLE, professor emeritus, psychology and family studies, and former chair of the Social and Behavioral Sciences Department, Concordia University, St. Paul
- Nutrition and Gardening Education for Young Children — by Meeshay Williams-Wheeler, Ph.D., CFLE and associate professor, Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University
- Childhood Trauma: Prevention and Intervention Strategies — by John Machir, supervisor, Mountain State Healthy Families, Point Pleasant, West Virginia
- Parenting in the Early Years: What Children and Parents Need — by Marti Erickson, Ph.D., director emerita of the Irving B. Harris Programs, Center for Early Education and Development, University of Minnesota, and co-host of Mom Enough® (www.momenough.com)
- Early Childhood Literacy: What About Families? — by Juana Gaviria and Neda Moinolmolki, Ph.D. candidates, Human Development & Family Studies, University of Delaware; and Myae Han, Ph.D., associate professor, Human Development & Family Studies, University of Delaware
- Strong Foundations for Future Success: Early Childhood Programs and Family Engagement — by April Trent, MPA, director for the Rosenwald Center for Families and Children, and Javiette Samuel, Ph.D., CFLE, associate extension administrator and associate professor, Division of Family and Consumer Sciences, Kentucky State University
- HOT Tips for Early Learning — by Carol Patrick, Ed.D., Lisa Gannoe, Ed.D., Helyne Frederick, Ph.D., Family and Consumer Sciences, Eastern Kentucky University
- Strengthening Families: Making the Connection to Early Childhood Policy — by Dena K. Wise, Ph.D., professor and family economics specialist, University of Tennessee Extension; Denise J. Brandon, Ph.D., CFLE, professor emeritus and former parenting and family relations specialist, University of Tennessee Extension; and Alex Tucker, graduate student, Child and Family Studies, University of Tennessee
Copyright and Permissions
Family Focus is part of NCFR Report, a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means without permission of NCFR. Reprints of this publication and permissions for use are available by contacting NCFR at 888-781-9331 or [email protected].