Family Focus on Effective Communication
In this Family Focus section of NCFR Report, your colleagues write about couples' communication, conflict resolution, teaching sexual communication skills, communication and technology, communicating with individuals with disabilities, and more.
NCFR members: View the full PDF of this issue. You will need to be logged in to the website to view articles and the PDF.
- Completely Open and Honest Communication: Is That Really What We Want? — by John P. Caughlin, Ph.D., Professor, and Erin D. Basinger, M.A., doctoral candidate, Department of Communication, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Couple Communication: Conflict Styles — by Patricia Noller, Ph.D., Emeritus Professor, School of Psychology, University of Queensland, Australia
- Communicating Exceptions: Considering Neurosocial Effects of Solution-Focused Practice — by Nichole L. Huff, Ph.D., CFLE, Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist, Youth, Family, and Community Sciences, North Carolina State University
- Conflict Resolution Methods in Heterosexual and Same-Sex Relationships — by Randi Hennigan, Ph.D., LMFT, LPC, Adjunct Professor, Department of Counseling, Southern Methodist University and Amberton University; Linda Ladd, Ph.D., PsyD, Professor, Department of Family Sciences, Texas Woman’s University
- Let's Talk About Sex: Guiding Principles for Family Life Professionals Teaching Sexual Communication Skills — by Claire Kimberly, Ph.D., CFLE, Assistant Professor, Department of Child and Family Studies, University of Southern Mississippi
- Effective Couple Communication — by Kevin J. Zimmerman, Ph.D., CFLE, Assistant Professor, Department of Health and Human Sciences, Bridgewater College
- Forging Family Strengths and Resilience Through Communication — by Sheila M. Littlejohn Myers, Ph.D., CFLE, CFCS, Associate Professor, Department of Family & Consumer Sciences, South Carolina State University; and Bonita Manson, Ph.D., CFLE, CFCS, Associate Professor, Department of Family & Consumer Sciences, South Carolina State University
- Couples' Communication of Rules and Boundaries for Technology and the Internet — by Jaclyn D. Cravens, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Community, Family, and Addiction Sciences, Texas Tech University
- Communicating With Individuals With Disabilities: A Reconsideration of Competency and Awareness — by Margo Sutorius, M.S., CFLE, LCPC, Instructor, School of Family, Consumer & Nutrition Sciences, Northern Illinois University; and Charles Myers, Ph.D., LCPC, Associate Professor, Department of Counseling, Adult and Higher Education, Northern Illinois University
- Communication Strategies: Contrasting Self-Expressive and Survival-Minded Societies — by Joyce Baptist, Ph.D., LCMFT, Associate Professor in Marriage and Family Therapy, School of Family Studies and Human Services, Kansas State University; and Young-ok Yum, Ph.D., Founder, Center for Global Solutions