Family Focus on Military Families
These articles on military families were prepared for the "Family Focus" section of NCFR Report, the quarterly member magazine of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). This issue is open to the public as a sample of Family Focus content.
Read more about NCFR Report. The Family Focus section appears in each issue and highlights a particular topic of interest to family researchers, educators, and practitioners.
Family Focus articles are exclusive to NCFR members. Not an NCFR member? The "Sleep" issue of Family Focus is open to the public.
- Working With the Military — by Shelley MacDermid Wadsworth, Ph.D.
- Buddy-to-Buddy: An Innovative Substitute for Family Support Among At-Risk, Returning Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan — by Christopher Jarman, MSW, Adrian Blow, Ph.D., Michigan State University; Marcia Valenstein, M.D., M.S., The University of Michigan
- Advice to the Therapists Working With Military Families — by Angela J. Huebner, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Human Development, Virginia Tech
- Military Families Internship: Strengthening Families and Communities — by Sally Koblinsky, Ph.D., professor, and Zainab Okolo, M.A., undergraduate coordinator, University of Maryland, College Park
- World War II in People's Lives — by Ralph LaRossa, Ph.D., Professor of Sociology, Georgia State University
- Military Service and the Life Course: An Assessment of What We Know — by Jay Teachman, Ph.D., Professor of Sociology, Western Washington University
- Military Families: What We Know and What We Don't Know — by Sarah O. Meadows, Ph.D., RAND Corporation
- Returning Home: What We Know About the Reintegration of Deployed Service Members Into Their Families and Communities — by Lydia I. Marek, Ph.D., LMFT, Family and Community Research Laboratory, Virginia Tech, W. Glenn Hollingsworth, M.A., Carissa D’Aniello, M.A., Kathleen O’Rourke, M.A., Donna-Jean P. Brock, M.A., Lyn Moore, M.A., John L. Butler VI, M.S., Jing Zhang, M.S., Bradford Wiles, M.A.
- Teaching About Military Families: Lessons From the Field — by Tara Saathoff-Wells, Ph.D., CFLE; Amy Dombro, M.S.; Karen Blaisure, Ph.D., CFLE; Angela Pereira (Col., U.S. Army, Ret.), Ph.D., MSW; Shelley MacDermid Wadsworth, Ph.D., CFLE
Copyright © National Council on Family Relations
Family Focus is part of NCFR Report, a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reprinted, reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means, including for classroom use, without permission of NCFR.
Permissions are available by contacting NCFR. NCFR reserves the right to deny any permission at its sole discretion.