NCFR Report: Play and Leisure
Family Focus: Play and Leisure
Play and leisure are important for families. At the same time, families often need to work hard at play. They need to find spaces and times, make decisions about what to do, where to do it, whom to include, and what equipment should be allowed.
- Overview and Introduction — Judith A. Myers-Walls, Ph.D., CFLE Emeritus
- Fathers’ Play: Benefits for Children and Fathers — Diana Coyl-Shepherd, Ph.D.
- “Doing Family” at the Soccer Field: Creating Time and Space for Outdoor Play and Organized Leisure — Danielle Ekman Ladru, Ph.D., and Katarina Gustafson, Ph.D.
- When Time for Leisure Seems Limited, Focus on Quality — Camilla J. Hodge, Ph.D.
- Importance of Play for a Lifetime — Anita Glee Bertram, Ph.D., CFLE, Brandon K. Burr, Ph.D., CFLE, LaDonna Atkins, Ed.D., Kaye Sears, Ed.D., CFLE, and Andreae N. McGinnis, graduate student
- Family Well-Being and the Importance of Engaging in Core Leisure Activities Together — James M. Duncan, Ph.D., CFLE, DAV, Kayla Reed-Fitzke, Ph.D., LMFT, Samantha Howard, M.S., and Anthony J. Ferraro, Ph.D., CFLE
- Diversify the Family Activity Profile: New Advice for Strengthening Families — Karen K. Melton, Ph.D., CTRS
- To Be or Not to Be Together: Activities and Technology During the Family Vacation — Moji M. Shahvali, M.A., and Karen K. Melton, Ph.D., CTRS
- The Importance of Leisure Activities in Supporting Military Members and Their Families — Samantha Howard, M.S., James M. Duncan, Ph.D., CFLE, DAV, Anthony J. Ferraro, Ph.D., CFLE, and Kayla Reed-Fitzke, Ph.D., LMFT
- Playing to Purpose: Optimizing Employment Benefits for Family Leisure Time — Nicole McAninch, Ph.D., MSW, CFLE, and Karen K. Melton, Ph.D., CTRS
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
Family Focus articles are exclusive to NCFR members. Not an NCFR member? Our recent "Sleep" issue of Family Focus is open to the public.
News Articles and Member Group Updates
The following news articles and updates below from our summer 2018 issue are open to the public.
- NCFR Celebrates 10th Anniversary of Journal of Family Theory & Review
- Seeking NCFR Fellows
- NCFR Announces 2018 Elected Officers
- President's Report: NCFR Keeps Active in Current Events — Anisa M. Zvonkovic, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Executive Review: Looking Outward and Inward — Diane Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Directions: The Importance of Meatballs: Recognizing the Role of Food in Family Life — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- Family Science Report: Communicating with Congress — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Inclusion and Diversity Committee Report: Play in the Lives of Diverse Families — Thomas W. Blume, Ph.D., LPC, LMFT, IDC Chair; Tiffany L. Brown, Ph.D.; and Elizabeth Grace Holman, Ph.D., IDC Members
- Advancing Family Science Section — Raeann R. Hamon, Ph.D., CFLE, AFS Section Chair
- Families and Health Section Update — Jerica Berge, Ph.D., M.P.H., LMFT, CFLE
- Ohio Affiliate Update — Carmen Irving, CFLE, Affiliate President
- Congratulations to Our New Certified Family Life Educators
- Congratulations to NCFR's Honors Graduates for Spring 2018
- Announcing the Cognella Innovation in Teaching Award for Family Science
NCFR Report is a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means without permission of NCFR.
Permissions are available by contacting NCFR. NCFR reserves the right to deny any permission at its sole discretion.