NCFR Report: Immigration
Family Focus on Immigration
The reasons families migrate are many, and while their experiences will vary, the process of migration and acculturation, the trauma and challenges they face, and the assets and resources they have access to can all greatly influence how they ultimately adjust to their situation. The aim of this issue of Family Focus is to share a few examples of how translational Family Science can inform resources and strategies to support immigrant families.
- Overview and Introduction — Ted G. Futris, Ph.D., CFLE
- More Than an Afterthought: Importance of Family in U.S. Refugee Resettlement — Kaitlin Roselius; Julie A. Tippens, Dr.P.H.; Kara Kohel, M.A.; and Irene Padasas, M.A.
- The Role of Familial and Ecological Factors in Fostering Resiliency Within Refugee Populations — Neda Moinolmolki, Ph.D.
- Shifting the Burden of Resilience: Working in Partnership With Latinx Immigrant Families for Systems Change — Bethany L. Letiecq, Ph.D.; Krishna J. Leyva, M.S.W.; Marlene G. Marquez, M.S.W.; Colleen K. Vesely, Ph.D.; and Rachael D. Goodman, Ph.D.
- Immigrants’ Use of Discourse Communities to Facilitate Their Children’s Educational Success — Chinwe Onwujuba, Ph.D.; and Olena Nesteruk, Ph.D.
- A Place to Call Home: Housing Challenges Among Immigrant Families — Jaime Ballard, Ph.D.; Malina Her; and True J. Thao, M.S.W., LICSW
- Child Spouses: Underage Marriages and Immigration Policies — Toni Hill, Ph.D.; and Bruce Elder, J.D.
- The Acculturation Strategy of Language Brokering Within Immigrant Families — Robert S. Weisskirch, Ph.D., M.S.W., CFLE
- Family Life Education With Immigrant Populations — Alan C. Taylor, Ph.D., CFLE; Sharon M. Ballard, Ph.D., CFLE; and Kelsi Wilson, B.S.
- Transformative Learning: Preparing Students for Future Work With Immigrant Families — A. Renee Gutiérrez, Ph.D.; Lee Millar Bidwell, Ph.D., CFLE; and Connie M. Koski, Ph.D.
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
News Articles and Member Group Updates
News articles and updates from our summer 2020 issue are open to the public.
- President's Report: Reflections on a Career and a Discipline — Leigh A. Leslie, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Executive Review: Adjusting to Unprecedented Times — Diane L. Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Directions: Beginning Research on CFLEs Within the Job Market — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- Family Science Report: 2020 NCFR Conference Submission and Review Process — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- New NCFR Olson Grant Invests in the Future of Family Science
- Journal of Marriage and Family Publishes 2020 Decade in Review
- Meet Our 2020 Elected Officers
Member Group Updates
- Seeking 2020 NCFR Fellows
- Family Policy Section Update — Morgan Cooley, Ph.D., LCSW; Anthony Ferraro, Ph.D., CFLE; Susan Meyerle, Ph.D.; Jordan Arellanes, Ph.D.; Family Policy Section Officers
- How Can We Serve You?: Reflecting on the Direction of the Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Families Section — Anthony G. James Jr., Ph.D., CFLE, Section Chair-Elect
- Families and Health Section Update — Kimberly Greder, Ph.D., CFLE, Section Chair
- Research and Theory Section Update — Kayley Davis McMahan, M.S., Section Communications Specialist
- New Online Communities Help Professionals Work and Teach Remotely
- Thank You to the 2020 Conference Program Committee
- Congratulations to NCFR’s Honors Graduates for Spring 2020
NCFR Report is a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means without permission of NCFR.
Permissions are available by contacting NCFR. NCFR reserves the right to deny any permission at its sole discretion.