NCFR Report: Promoting Mental Health
Prolonged periods of crisis can have detrimental effects on the mental health of individuals at all stages of the life span. As we continue to emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, the deterioration in the mental health of so many youth and adults has become evident. In this issue of Family Focus, the contributors provide perspective on the various mental health needs of children, youth, adults, and families and offer insight into strategies that can meet those needs.
Access to Family Focus articles is a benefit of NCFR membership — join today!
- Overview and Introduction — Ted G. Futris, Ph.D., CFLE, Family Focus Editor
- Trauma-Informed Resilience Building: A Synergistic Opportunity — Rebecca L. Hubbard, Ph.D., CFLE
- Addressing Barriers to Implementing Trauma-Informed Care in Primary Health Settings — Elizabeth Coleman, D.N.P., A.P.R.N., FNP-C
- The Benefit of an Integrative Trauma-Informed Approach to Social-Emotional Learning Among Black, Indigenous, and Other Non-White Youth — Genese C. Clark, M.S.
- Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health — Sarah L. H. Brown, Ph.D., CFLE
- Parental Burnout During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Implications for Parents’ Mental Health — Christina N. Kim, Ph.D.; Kerrie A. Fanning, Ph.D.; and Margaret L. Kerr, Ph.D.
- Neurodiversity Perceptions: Implications for Caregivers of Black Children With Autism — Kimberly Mosley, M.Ed., J.D.; and Wendy Middlemiss, Ph.D., CFLE
- Video Chat Supports Real-Time Child-Caregiver Interactions at a Distance — Ellen C. Roche, M.Ed.; Doug Piper; Jennifer M. Zosh, Ph.D.; and Rachel Barr, Ph.D.
- How Can We Get Our Adolescents to Open Up and Talk About Their Mental Health? — Elizabeth J. Christensen, M.S., CFLE
- Promoting Mental Health Literacy in Agricultural Families: Leveraging the Role of Extension in Community Programs — Ty B. Aller, Ph.D., LMFT; Raechel Russo, M.S., LMFT-C; Rachel Byers, B.S.; Tasha Howard, M.F.H.D; Heather Kelley, M.S.; and Elizabeth B. Fauth, Ph.D.
Family Focus PDF (members only)
News Articles and Member Group Updates
News articles and updates open to the public.
- To Seek Peace, We Must First Teach Kindness — Norma J. Bond Burgess, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Advancing Family Science: Exploring and Understanding Professional Identities — Diane Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Virtual Summit Designed Specifically for Family Life Educators — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education,
- Updates on NCFR's Educational Offerings — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Family Science Impact: Addressing Mental Health Needs Through Prevention & Intervention — Member Q&A With Alexander Chan