NCFR Report: Nonnormative Transitions
Family Focus on Nonnormative Transitions
Family life does not move in one smooth, steady line. As the articles in this edition of Family Focus illustrate, there are also unpredicted and unexpected transitions along families’ paths. These nonnormative transitions generally do not have guidelines or standards to follow. Families often find themselves feeling their way in the dark as they negotiate unfamiliar territory.
- Overview and Introduction — Judith A. Myers-Walls, Ph.D., CFLE Emerita; and Bethany Willis Hepp, Ph.D., CFLE
- Swimming Against the Current: Deviations From Family Norms and Older-Age Loneliness — Mioara Zoutewelle-Terovan, Ph.D.; and Aart C. Liefbroer, Ph.D.
- Left Home “Too Early”? Nonnormative Home Leaving and Returning Home — Lonneke van den Berg, MSc
- Understanding Nonnormative Family Transitions With Theory: Implications for Practice — Bethany Willis Hepp, Ph.D., CFLE; Cheryl Fortner-Wood, Ph.D.; and Katie Hrapczynski, Ph.D., LCMFT
- Assisting Children in the Nonnormative Transitions of Foster and Adoptive Homes — Lexa Jack, M.Ed., CFLE
- Stepfamily Formation as a Nonnormative Family Transition — Todd M. Jensen, Ph.D.
- Out of Order: Families and the Untimely Death of a Child or Adolescent — Colleen I. Murray, Ph.D., F.T.; and Jordan C. Reuter, M.A.
- The Nonnormative Tragedy of Losing a Child to Gun Violence: Grief as a Catalyst for Social Change — Brian G. Johnson, Ph.D., J.D.
- Understanding and Mitigating Paternal Post-Incarceration Challenges as a Nonnormative Transition — Sheldon Smith, Ph.D.
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
Family Focus articles are exclusive to NCFR members. Not a member yet? The winter 2018 issue Understanding Gun Violence From a Family Perspective is open to the public.
News Articles and Member Group Updates
The following news articles and updates below from our winter 2019 issue are open to the public.
- Congratulations to All 2019 NCFR Award Recipients
- Get Involved in the Leadership of Your Organization!
- We Are Collaborative Partners in Setting Goals for NCFR — Leigh A. Leslie, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Decade in Review: Where NCFR Has Been and Where It Will Go — Diane Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Marketing the CFLE Credential – A Collaborative Effort — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- Family Focus Member Editors: Saying Goodbye to One as We Say Hello to Another — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- Families and Health Section Update — Kimberly Greder, Ph.D., CFLE, CFCS, Section Chair
- Ethnic Minorities Section Celebrates 40 Years, Moves Forward With New Name — Yolanda T. Mitchell, Ph.D., Section Chair
- Inaugural Class of the NCFR Mentoring Academy Meets at NCFR 2019
- Congratulations to Our New Certified Family Life Educators
- Congratulations to NCFR’s Honors Graduates for Fall 2019
- Welcome to the Newest Members of NCFR
NCFR Report is a copyrighted publication of the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). No part of NCFR Report, including Family Focus articles, may be reproduced, disseminated, or distributed by any means without permission of NCFR.
Permissions are available by contacting NCFR. NCFR reserves the right to deny any permission at its sole discretion.