NCFR Report: Best of Family Focus
Best of Family Focus, 2015-2019
Every 5 years, Family Focus highlights past articles that are as relevant today as the time when they were first published. The articles in this collection includes articles that concern racial justice; inclusion and diversity; and the make-up and daily processes of families.
Access to Family Focus articles is a benefit of NCFR membership — join today!
Articles open to the public are indicated with an asterik (*)
- Overview and Introduction — Judith A. Myers-Walls, Ph.D., CFLE Emeritus and Ted G. Futris, Ph.D., CFLE
- Reflections on Black Lives Matter in the Context of Human Rights and Family Science — Shuntay Z. McCoy, Ph.D., MSW, and Anthony James, Ph.D., CFLE
- Black Panther: Cultural Intersections Among Black Families, Media Representation, Racial Identity, and Perception — Leslie A. Anderson, M.S., LMFT
- Reducing Unintended Consequences of Zero-Tolerance School Policies Through Family Life Education — Katrina Akande, Ph.D.; Eman Tadros, M.S., IMFT; and Charlene Harris, Ph.D.
- *Gun Violence and the Minority Experience — Yolanda T. Mitchell, Ph.D., and Tiffany L. Bromfield, M.A.
- Rethinking the Additive Approach of Cultural Competence for Latinx Immigrant Families — Dee Hill-Zuganelli, Ph.D.
- The Importance of Family Support and Resilience Among Sexual Minorities of Color — Shane A. Kavanaugh, Ph.D., LMHC; Greta L. Stuhlsatz, M.S., CFLE; Ashley B. Taylor, M.A.; Tricia K. Neppl, Ph.D.; and Brenda J. Lohman, Ph.D.
- Resilience Processes in Postdivorce Families and Stepfamilies — Lawrence Ganong, Ph.D., FNCFR, FGSA; and Marilyn Coleman, Ph.D.
- Families at Arm’s Length: Observations on Contexts, Patterns, and Processes of Resilience — Catherine W. O’Neal, Ph.D.; and Jay A. Mancini, Ph.D.
- Out of Order: Families and the Untimely Death of a Child or Adolescent — Colleen I. Murray, Ph.D., F.T.; and Jordan C. Reuter, M.A.
- Are You Awake? Why Sleep Matters in Marriage and What Couples Can Do About It — Jeremy B. Yorgason, Ph.D.; Amber Seidel, Ph.D.; Amy Rauer, Ph.D.; and Courtney A. Polenick, Ph.D.
Each issue of NCFR Report features a "Family Focus" section containing research- and practice-based articles on that issue's theme, written by family scholars and professionals. Articles are accepted based on an editorial review process.
News Articles and Member Group Updates
News articles and updates from our winter 2020 issue are open to the public.
- NCFR Olson Grant Announces Inaugural Recipients
- Thanks and Looking Forward — Leigh A. Leslie, Ph.D., NCFR President
- Good News to Share from 2020 — Diane L. Cushman, NCFR Executive Director
- Getting the Most Out of Being a CFLE-Approved Program — Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE, Director of Family Life Education
- 2020 NCFR Virtual Conference Preparations — Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE, Director of Research and Policy Education
- 2020 Award Recipients
- Member Group Updates