How to Review a Conference Proposal webcast
This free webcast by Dr. Karen Myers-Bowman, Kansas State University, and Dr. Tom Holman, Brigham Young University provides an overview of proposal review--the process, the criteria to consider, and examples of what makes for a strong (or weak) proposal.
Dr Myers-Bowman, who teaches proposal review in classes with her graduate students, will break down the parts of a proposal and evaluation of them. Dr. Holman will offer his insights as chair of the Research and Theory Section which receives hundreds of submissions each year.
Watch individual segments
- Introduction (1:26)
- Oxford Abstracts system tutorial (8:45)
- Review the Call and Scoring Rubric (1:36)
- Read the Proposals (1:34)
- Score Proposals Using the Rubric (6:28)
- Comments to Authors and Section Chairs (2:02)
- Review your Review (0:59)
- Intro to Understanding the Decision Making Process (2:01)
- The Decision Making Process (4:56)
- Symposia Considerations in the Decision Making Process (2:38)
- Implications for You as a Reviewer (8:16)
- Question and Answer Period (2:55)