ACTION NEEDED: Encourage inclusion of Family Life Educators as Providers in WA HB 1237
The Washington state legislature is trying to pass a bill, HB 1237 which will provide a common definition for family resource centers across Washington in an effort to establish a core set of principles for existing and newly forming family resource centers. National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) supports this bill but also wants to encourage the recognition and inclusion of Family Life Educators and those trained in Family Science as potential staff in family resource centers and as family advocates.
HB 1237 provides an excellent opportunity to advocate for the profession of Family Life Education and the discipline of Family Science. Family Life Educators are uniquely qualified to develop, administer, and deliver the programs and services provided through family resource centers. The core principles of the practice of Family Life Education align closely with the core principles for family resource centers identified in HB 1237.
HB 1237 passed the House of Representatives in just over two weeks and crossed over to the Senate on Feb. 5, 2021. It is expected to be referred to the Senate Human Services, Reentry & Rehabilitation committee.
Time is of the essence to act. NCFR sent letters to the Washington state Senate today (February 5) to respectfully request that Family Life Educators be added to the bill as potential staff. We need you to contact these individuals, too. We need all of you to contact your legislator and members of the Senate Committee on Human Services, Reentry & Rehabilitation to request their support of the bill and as potential staff in family resource centers and as family advocates.
Here is a template of the letter we sent to Senator Jeannie Darneille (committee chair) and other members of the Committee on Human Services, Reentry & Rehabilitation, with sponsors of the bill copied. Feel free to use and modify this letter when contacting your legislators and committee members.
Below is the contact information of individuals we are requesting you contact:
Members of the Committee on Human Services, Reentry & Rehabilitation and their contact information:
- Senator Jeannie Darneille (Chair): [email protected], (360) 786-7652
- Senator Joe Nguyen (Vice-Chairman): [email protected], (360) 786-7667
- Senator Chris Gildon, [email protected], (360) 786-7648
- Senator Perry Dozier, [email protected], (360) 786-7630
- Senator Jim McCune, [email protected], (360) 786-7602
- Senator Rebecca Saldana [email protected], (360) 786-7688
- Senator Claire Wilson [email protected], (360) 786-7658
You may send one email to Senator Darneille and copy the rest of the committee members.
Sponsors of HB 1237 and their contact information:
- Representative Carol Eslick: [email protected], (360) 786-7816
- Representative Lisa Callan: [email protected], (425) 651-2341
- Representative Roger Goodman: [email protected], (360) 786-7878
- Representative Lillian Ortiz-Self: [email protected], (360) 786-7972
- Representative Alicia Rule: [email protected], (360) 746-3744
- Representative Tana Sene: [email protected], (360) 786-7894
Find your senator’s name by searching at https://leg.wa.gov/Senate/Senators/Pages/default.aspx. You may search by name, district, parish, or address.
Your help is needed. Contact your legislators today.
Thank you for contacting your legislator requesting support of WA HB 1237. Please contact Jennifer Crosswhite or Dawn Cassidy at NCFR with any questions.
Jennifer Crosswhite and Dawn Cassidy
Jennifer Crosswhite, Ph.D., CFLE
Director of Research and Policy Education|
Dawn Cassidy, M.Ed., CFLE
Director of Family Life Education
National Council on Family Relations
661 LaSalle Street, Suite 200
Saint Paul, MN 55114