Call for Papers: Understanding Gun Violence from a Family Perspective
Gun violence has been a topic of recent considerable attention, and in response, NCFR seeks authors to create original articles for the winter 2018 Family Focus section of NCFR Report and fall 2018 CFLE Network. These new resources will aid in the understanding and prevention of gun violence from a family perspective. What do we as family scholars and professionals have to add to the discussion about gun violence?
The editor of Family Focus invites the submission of research-based articles to explore the prevention of, immediate response to, and short-term and long-term recovery from gun violence at the family, school, and community levels. What do we know about how these events impact children, schools, and families? What do we know about the influence of constant reminders of violence through preparation activities such as drills on children and families, even when they don’t experience violence directly?
Family Focus authors should indicate intent to submit by Aug. 1, 2018. Email the editor with questions or about your interest in submitting, and include one to two sentences summarizing what you wish to cover. Articles are due Aug. 15, 2018. Find complete author guidelines at bit.ly/FFguidelines (PDF)
CFLE Network will also focus on the issue of gun violence in its fall 2018 issue. Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs) are encouraged to submit their stories and experiences of working with families coping with gun violence, and how a Family Life Education perspective has helped families cope. Also of interest are articles that:
- discuss the development and/or delivery of programs or curricula aimed at preventing gun violence or in dealing with the aftermath of violence;
- focus on Family Life Education programs being facilitated in the community along with a participant's perspective;
- discuss resources available to families;
- focus on service learning activities in the classroom to decrease gun violence along with the student's perspective; or
- give research updates on gun violence for Family Life Educators.
CFLE Network authors should indicate intent to submit by Sept. 1, 2018. Email Dawn Cassidy with questions or to submit. Articles are due Sept. 15, 2018. Submission guidelines for CFLE Network can be found at https://www.ncfr.org/cfle-network