First Look: 2019 International Day of Families Observance
Each year, U.N. Headquarters in New York observes the International Day of Families with a special program on May 15. The 2019 theme is “Families and Climate Action” with a focus on U.N. sustainable development goal 13 (SDG13).
The major targets of SDG13 for this year's observance are to:
- Improve education, awareness-raising and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction and early warning; and
- Integrate climate change measures into national policies, strategies and planning.
A panel discussion will highlight:
- Inter-generational approach to sustainability
- Sustainable development education & practice
- Sustainable family farming from indigenous perspective
- ‘Greening the blue’ and other good practices at the United Nations and beyond
More details on the program will follow closer to the event. Members who have questions, may reach out to NCFR's U.N. representatives, Mihaela Robila, Ph.D., CFLE, and Bahira Sherif Trask, Ph.D.
The 2018 International Day of Families observance was live streamed. It featured Dr. Robila, Dr. Trask, and NCFR member Yan Ruth Xia, Ph.D., CFLE. Watch the recordings here.