Winter 2016 Families and Health Section Update
We hope you enjoyed the 2016 NCFR Annual Conference in Minneapolis, Minnesota! The Families and Health Section presented 74 posters, five symposia, six paper sessions, one workshop, and a lightning paper session. Topics focused on various families-and-health issues, such as obesity disparities, intimate partner violence, mental health, and interpersonal relationships and health outcomes. We also held our Families and Health Section meeting, where we turned over our section officers. Welcome to the incoming section officers:
- Chair: Jerica Berge, Ph.D., MPH, LMFT, CFLE
- Secretary-treasurer: Amber Seidel, Ph.D., CFLE
- Students and New Professionals representative: Brianna Routh, MS (current doctoral student)
- Chair-elect: Kimberly Greder, Ph.D., CFLE
- Past chair: Karina Shreffler, Ph.D.
In addition, at our section meeting we announced the winners of our best-paper awards for a Students and New Professionals (SNP) member and a professional member. Each of these recipients received a plaque and $200:
- Students and New Professionals paper: Christina Marini, MS, "Emotion Expression, Avoidance and Psychological Health During Reintegration: A Dyadic Analysis of Actor and Partner Associations Within a Sample of Military Couples."
- Professional paper: Amy Rauer, Ph.D., "Romantic Relationships and Alcohol Use: A Long-Term, Developmental Approach."
We thank all of you who submitted proposals or papers for awards, as well as those who reviewed proposals for our section in 2016! The success of our section depends upon your engagement. In the upcoming months, please consider submitting a proposal to the Families and Health Section for the 2017 conference in Orlando, Florida!
Copyright © 2016 National Council on Family Relations (NCFR). Contact NCFR for permission to reprint, reproduce, disseminate, or distribute by any means.