Department Chair and Mary Gibbs Jones Endowed Chair of Family and Consumer Sciences
The chair is FCS department’s chief academic and administrative officer, overseeing the department’s educational programs, research, creative scholarship, service, and outreach, and has responsibility for administering the department and enhancing its relationships with other departments in the Robbins College of Health and Human Sciences, as well as with the university at large. As a member of the College’s senior administrative team, the Chair reports to the Dean of the College as the representative of a diverse and distinguished faculty for whom the Chair provides strategic leadership, insightful evaluation, and sound mentoring in professional development.
Specific experiences, accomplishments, and skills along with the traits and abilities most important for success in this role:
- Doctorate in one of the disciplines represented in the department or a closely-related field.
- An actively-funded, nationally-recognized scholar whose academic record warrants appointment as a tenured associate or full professor at Baylor University.
- Strong record of published research in refereed journals or comparable juried creative activity.
- Commitment to collaborative and innovative approaches to research and curriculum that advance FCS and Robbins College.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to advancing the academic and Christian mission of Baylor through strategic faculty and staff recruitment, retention, and mentoring.
- Ability to foster an environment that recognizes excellence and promotes a positive atmosphere of achievement and service to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other constituents.
- Willingness to contribute actively to the development of new graduate professional education as a way of diversifying revenue streams to advance the programs of FCS.
- Commitment to diversity among faculty, staff, and students.
- Commitment to work with other Robbins College leadership to help advance the College, FCS, and other individual academic units.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching at the university level.
- Leadership in national and international professional organizations.
- Leadership experience with a preference in a university setting.
- Experience with undergraduate and graduate programs.
Chartered in 1845, Baylor is the oldest continually operating university in Texas. Located in Waco, the institution serves more than 17,000 students from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 92 countries who study a broad range of degrees among its 12 nationally recognized academic divisions offering 142 baccalaureate, 75 master’s, 40 doctoral, a juris doctor, and education specialist programs. Baylor is actively recruiting individuals with a commitment to transformational education, compelling scholarship, informed engagement, committed constituents, and judicious stewardship as a means to advance the university’s aspiration to become a top Christian research university while reaffirming and strengthening its conviction that there is no inherent dichotomy between rigorous academic inquiry and an active life of faith.
The Robbins College of Health and Human Sciences at Baylor University seeks an entrepreneurial leader with a strong record of academic accomplishment to be the department chair and the holder of the Mary Gibbs Jones Endowed Chair of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS). The department has five academic degree programs: Apparel Design and Product Development, Apparel Merchandising, Child and Family Studies, Interior Design, and Nutrition Sciences, with nearly 500 undergraduate students. The department also offers a master’s degree in Nutrition Sciences and a graduate Dietetic Internship program, and houses the Piper Center for Family Studies and Child Development as well as numerous teaching and research labs. FCS seeks to develop scholars and leaders who apply a Christian worldview to improve quality of life and human experience for individuals, families, and communities by advancing education, scholarship, and service related to nutrition, apparel, the built environment, human development, and family relationships. The department supports the mission of Robbins College, which “discovers new ideas, advances knowledge with novel questions, and is responsive to ever-changing conditions of health and human sciences and quality of life.” We are seeking faculty who share in our aspiration to become a Tier one and Research 1 institution as described in the university’s strategic vision, Pro Futuris, and academic strategic plan, Illuminate.
1224 S. 8th Street
Waco, TX 76706
A complete application will consist of: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcripts from all degree granting universities, a description of teaching, research philosophy/experience with diverse research, and administrative philosophy, and a minimum of three letters of recommendation. Inquiries regarding this position may be directed to Dr. Denny Kramer (E-mail: [email protected]; 254-710-4178) and Dr. Jay Yoo (E-mail: [email protected]; 254-710-3630), Search Committee Co-Chairs.
To apply, please send application materials (electronic documents preferred) to:
Ms. Karen King
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
Robbins College of Health and Human Sciences
One Bear Place #97346
Waco, TX 76798-7346
E-mail: [email protected]