Preparation of Figures
Digital Files That Blackwell Publishing Can Usually Use
|TIFF (.tif)||Adobe Illustrator (.ai)**||Canvas (version 7 or newer)*|
|EPS (.eps)||Adobe Photoshop (psd)||Quark documents**|
|PDF (.pdf)||Corel Photo-Paint||PageMaker documents**|
|JPEG (.jpg)||Corel Draw (version 7 or newer)*||PictureViewer document|
* Files in these programs do not always translate well in a version other than the version they are originally created in. We recommend that (if possible) people working with these programs convert the file to eps format, check the eps file carefully and send the eps file instead of sending the original native file.
** If the files are of mounted plates, it is essential that files of ../../../images that are within them are embedded or that copies of any linked high resolution files are also sent with the document. Copies of screen and printer fonts that are used in the document should also be included.
Note about file resolutions
Many of the above formats are resolution-dependent. The file resolution required for good quality printing is much higher than is required for viewing on a computer screen. Files that are created in programs or at settings that are "low" resolution will always retain the visual characteristics of low-resolution files regardless of what is done to them later. A low-resolution file has a bitmapped (pixilated) appearance. The best file resolution for a figure file depends on the type of figure that it is and what line-screen will be used to print the figure. Using resolutions that are higher than ideal does not serve any advantage. Allen Press recommends the following ideal and minimum resolutions for figure files:
|Kind of figure||File mode||Ideal resolution||Minimum resolution|
|Line||Bitmap||1200 ppi||600 ppi|
|Color||CMYK||350 ppi||200 ppi|
|Color / "line"||CMYK||600 ppi||200 ppi|
(black and white photo)
|Grayscale||350 ppi||200 ppi|
|Line/halftone combination||Grayscale||600 ppi||200 pp|
Note about time
Allen Press reserves the right to reject digital files if they require excessive time to open. To prevent this from happening, please:
- Crop excessive white space from around the figure.
- Submit files in grayscale or bitmap mode unless they are intended to print in color.
- Size the figure to be close to its final print size.
- Do not exceed the ideal resolution for the kind of figure as indicated in the above table.
Commonly Submitted Figure Files that Blackwell Publishing Can Never Use
|MS Word||GIF (.gif)||Harvard Graphics|
|WordPerfect||Rich Text Format (.rtf)||Cricket Graph|
|Excel (.xls)||.pic or .pcx||Sigma Plot|