Provisional CFLE Certification Extension

Provisional Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs) must submit work experience hours within five years of receiving their provisional certification. There are circumstances, however, in which a provisional CFLE may not have been able to earn enough work experience hours to qualify for full certification.

Provisional CFLEs who are not eligible to upgrade to full certification by the end of the fifth year of provisional certification can apply for a provisional certification extension by submitting evidence of continuing education activity. This ensures that the provisional CFLE remains up to date in the field. An applicant can apply for provisional extension one year at a time for up to three years.

Submission Requirements for Provisional Extension Application

You will apply online for extension of your provisional certification. During the online application process, here is what you will be asked to do or provide:

  • Update your NCFR profile (contact, employment, and education information)
  • Submit 20 hours of continuing education credits earned in academic preparation, professional development, and/or work experience
  • Upload an optional resume/vita
  • Read and sign the CFLE Code of Professional Ethics
  • Pay the CFLE annual fee

How to Apply Online

To start your provisional extension application, log in at and in the My CFLE Certification box, click the "Start Provisional Extension Application" button.

If you are not able to complete your application in one session, you will be able to save your progress and come back to the application later. Log back in at and in the My CFLE Certification box, click the "Continue" button under Provisional Extension Application to continue your application and payment.

Start Your Provisional CFLE Extension Application >>


At the end of the third provisional extension, you must upgrade to full status or forfeit your credential. Please visit our upgrade webpage to learn more about the requirements needed for full status.