Advancing the Family Science Discipline in 2021 and Beyond
In 2021, work continued on NCFR's Advancing Family Science Initiative, creating resources and campaigns to strengthen the identity, visibility, and perceived value of the discipline of Family Science — its unique contributions, identity and standards, history, career opportunities, and more.
Resources produced in 2021 include:
- Online Toolkit to Promote Family Science — an ever-growing collection of graphics, fliers, posters, email signatures, articles, and more supporting the identity of the Family Science discipline, all available to download and use for free in your own promotions of Family Science. As of the end of 2021, nearly 80 items were available from the toolkit.
- Exploring Careers in Family Science — an online hub that introduces Family Science employment settings, example job titles and responsibilities, how to identify a career for you, and more
- Family Science Impact Career Q&As — a new feature of each quarterly NCFR Report magazine highlights a member working in a different Family Science career, showing the impact of their career and what their career path has looked like:
- Summer 2021: Empowering Families to Navigate Their Children's Early & Middle Years, Jenell Kelly, Ph.D., CFLE, LCCE
- Fall 2021: Supporting Domestic Violence Clients to Prevent a Return to Homelessness, Kimberly Leach, B.S., CFLE-P
- Winter 2021: Strengthening Family Relationships Through Therapy & Education, Rachel Sullivan, LMFT, CFLE-P
- Degree Programs in Family Science guide — a revamped version of NCFR's online guide to academic degrees in Family Science launched in January 2021. Two new interactive maps were created to accompany the guide:
- History of Family Science — summary and timeline graphic
- Why NCFR Advocates for the Term 'Family Science' — summary and graphic
- Glossary: Key Terms of Family Science Identity — webpage and PDF versions
Also see resources created in 2020 and earlier:
- 'We Are Family Science' website — an introduction for lay audiences to what Family Science is and how it makes a difference in the world
- Includes an expanding collection of short stories of the impact of Family Scientists' work
- 'About Family Science' landing page — an introduction for ncfr.org visitors to the identity of Family Science, why Family Science matters, how Family Scientists make an impact, and how Family Science fits into NCFR
- Bibliography of Family Science as a Discipline
- Collection: Incorporating 'Family Science' in Academic Program Names — a 5-piece collection that includes a customizable letter of support, bibliography, sample text used by other institutions, narrative fact sheet, and data-based fact sheet
Do you have comments about existing NCFR resources that support the Family Science discipline, or ideas and needs for future resources to advance the discipline? Let us know!