The Child and Family Studies Program at Nipissing University is a unique program with a particular focus on two thematic areas of study:
1) Human Development and Learning; and
2) Child and Family Well-Being: Issues, Services, and Social Justice. Students can pursue a General or Honours program of study.
The CHFS program engages students in a multidisciplinary approach to the study of children and families. In drawing on disciplines and fields such as psychology, sociology, political science, social welfare, and social work, the program develops a broad and in-depth understanding of issues and themes related to children and families. The focus of the program includes but is not limited to psychological development, the increasing variation in family structure, the changing roles of men and women, the status of children, children's rights, and the role and status of caregiving in society. Students who select this program would be interested in the changing interrelationships among individual development, family systems, communities, and the larger culture. Program objectives include providing students with a solid educational basis upon which to pursue their future goals, whether related to post-degree educational pursuits (such as education or social work), or career aspirations in areas like child welfare, community mental health, social services, and counseling. The possibility of jobs in these areas is excellent.
Thematic Areas of Study
The two thematic areas of study are designed to prepare students for these future aspirations and goals. Coursework in the 'Human Development and Learning' thematic area reflects and enhances program objectives, notably in relation to education, and coursework in the thematic area of 'Child and Family Well-Being: Issues, Services, and Social Justice', encourages students to exercise their critical thinking capacities in assessing the conditions of child and family well-being in a variety of policy and practice areas, as well as within societies and culture generally.
Nipissing University is continually ranked with A grades for:
- Quality of Teaching
- Campus Atmosphere
- Class Size (A+)
- Student Residences
- Academic Support Services
(According to Globe and Mail - GlobeCampus)
Don't take it from us, here's what student's say:
- "The best thing ... is being able to see your professors outside the classroom and they greet you on a first-name basis. There is nothing better than being able to talk to your professor like they are a friend."
- "There is a large focus on research at the undergraduate level which does not always happen at larger universities. This gives Nipissing science students a path to further education and graduate schools."
- "It is in a very scenic, northern setting. There are many trails on campus and a pond and waterfall to relax by to relieve stress and just think."
- "The residences here are amazing with excellent dons and managers and activities. The residences are new and have amazing laundry, phone and kitchen facilities."
- "Recreational and athletic programs offer a wide variety, lots of activities to sign up for, appropriate for all levels of skill."